Peter Brune - leading Papua land war expert?

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Antipodean Andy, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

If not, must be a close second!

http://www.api-network.com/cgi-bin/reviews/jrbview.cgi?n=1741144035

PETER BRUNE (from a website that doesn't work): http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cach...ne.asp "peter brune"&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=au

Peter Brune began his teaching career in Adelaide in 1973 and has now been teaching for twenty-nine years. In 1985 he also began writing and his first book, Those Ragged Bloody Heroes, was published in 1991. It went on to become a best-seller and the basis for a television documentary.

Throughout his life Peter has been a keen Australian Rules Football supporter and at one stage he played and coached at A Grade district level in South Australia. While his time is now occupied fully by his writing and teaching careers, Peter retains an avid interest in the game and is an Adelaide Crows fan.

Peter is a keen reader and viewer of any 20th Century history subject, particularly the two world wars and Vietnam, and the dictators of the twentieth century. He lives in Adelaide with his partner, Meredith, and his daughter, Kylie.

What are you reading now?
    I am at present reading around the Russian front during WW2. Although the reading is for my next book, I'm finding the research very absorbing—a war on such a massive scale, with no holds barred, such incredible sacrifice, bravery and suffering. Clark's book, Barbarossa is giving me a fair insight into the campaign.

What was your favourite book as a child?
    The Grapes of Wrath in high school made a deep impression on me. It taught me that the little bloke is always there to be exploited, and what the little bloke can accomplish in adversity. I loved this book and then also enjoyed the film and Henry Fonda's part in it.

What is your favourite book of all time?
    Nigel Hamilton's three volume biography of Montgomery. This book really interested me because I felt, and still feel, it is one of the greatest examples of what comprehensive, moving, and accurate oral history can do for a story and therefore a book. The depth of research and writing style really captivated me and therefore influenced me as a writer enormously.

When did you start writing and why?
    I started writing in 1985 at 34 years of age—Those Ragged Bloody Heroes. I could not comprehend that Australian soldiers could have fought such a difficult war in New Guinea and receive such pathetic recognition. I must admit that I took on the job with great enthusiasm because I believed it was such a great story and that I would hopefully be contributing something to my country's military written records.

What was your first job?
    I've made a career out of school teaching (from 1973, aged 22 to 2001 aged 50).

What did you want to be when you grew up?
    Early on, a teacher. After my 30th birthday, a writer. I am working towards being a full-time writer. It isn't work, it's sheer fun. I love it.

When you're not writing what else do you do?
    Between teaching full time and writing I'm very busy but I love AFL football and usually take in most games on a weekend. I'm an avid Adelaide Crows fan. I also love 20th Century history documentaries.

Who is your favourite military figure in Australian history?
    Brigadier Arnold Potts of Kokoda Trail Fame. History will place him on a high mantle as the importance of the Kokoda Trail comes more to the fore. He did so much, and did it hard and with great admiration for his men. A close second is Lieutenant Colonel Ralph Honnor, who commanded the 39th Battalion during the same campaign.

Who would you most like to meet?
    Unfortunately they're all dead. Churchill, Roosevelt, Zukov, Montgomery, Potts. I really can't admit to wanting to meet anyone around today.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career?
    The Australian soldiers I've had the privilege to interview. All so different and yet made of the same stuff. We will never see the likes of them again, since the Depression and the war they fought in shaped them. We owe them so much. Ralph Honnor really influenced me tremendously out of the multitudes interviewed.

What's the best thing and the worst thing about writing a book?
    Best: watching it take shape. The research is particularly interesting, in that you don't always know where it will take you. The writing is always fun because I always have this sense of contribution to the cause. It is a satisfying exercise.
    Worst: the production phase of a book when it goes to the publisher is very exciting the first time, because it's a big adventure. After the first book, there is a sense of just wanting to see all your hard work on the shelf, ie., the birth is more exciting than the pregnancy!

What are you currently working on?
    A book about multi-culturalism, taking different events from WW2 through to Vietnam, Cambodia and Chile, taking people's war experiences through to their arrival in Australia and how they see their new country. A war-related book, but an exciting new challenge and, once again, a new path for me as a writer.

Books by Peter Brune

200 Shots
    Damien Parer and George Silk with the Australians at War in New Guinea
    Author Neil McDonald and Peter Brune
    Photographic coverage of the Australian campaign in New Guinea in WW2 together with a brief but comprehensive textual account and detailed captions.

A Bastard of a Place
    Author Peter Brune
    In the spirit of Les Carlyon's bestselling Gallipoli, this book restores Milne Bay, Gona, Buna and Sanananda to their rightful place beside Kokoda as sacred ground, and a vital part of Australian history.

The Spell Broken
    Exploding the myth of Japanese invincibility
    Author Peter Brune
    Tells the story of how the Australian 18th brigade inflicted the first defeat on land of the Japanese army in World War 2.

Those Ragged Bloody Heroes
    From the Kokoda Trail to Gona Beach 1942
    Author Peter Brune
    The definitive account of the Australians on the Kokoda Trail - a story told through the eyes of the Australians who fought there, many of whom have now passed away.

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Cheers Andy. I read A Bastard of a Place about a year or so ago. Being a complete novice on that theatre it came as a complete shock as to the conditions that they fought in. Would recommend the book to everyone.

3. peterbrunefan

peterbrunefan New Member

hi

hi has anyone ever met peter brune?
    i have he is the funniest person u would meet.

4. bardia bill 2/33

bardia bill 2/33 New Member

I have just read " Those ragged bloody heroes". An enjoyable read particularly with the insights from the officers and men that fought there. Unfortunately there is no mention of the 25 brigade 7 Div. Why is this? He mentions the 18th and 21st brigades but falls a bit short. Perhaps Peter has not researched his topic fully or omitted this unit for some unknown reason or focussed more on the 39th Bn. I suggest he review W Crooks history of the 2/33 "The footsoldier"

5. Alexander

Alexander Member

6. bardia bill 2/33

bardia bill 2/33 New Member

Whilst the 25 brigade is mentioned here, he did omit the reinforcements by air didnt happen because the us pilots refused to land at kokoda insisting that it was Japanese held. the author made quite a few statements in regards to the 39th Bn that were not quite true. Nothing like letting the truth get in the way of a good story. However japanese naval movements are an interesting point. I didnt read it all as my father had been wounded on the track and did not see the battle for Buna/Gona areas.