Photo help please?

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Tim Lynch, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Tim Lynch

Tim Lynch Guest

Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone out there can help me identify any of these officers. They're West Yorkshire Regiment and it's obviously early war (39/40). The picture was taken in York but beyond that I'm stumped.

I'm particularly interested to see if anyone can identify the senior chap in the front row as that might give me a clue about the battalion at least.

Thanks

Tim

2. GGjen

GGjen Guest

No clue..sorry!

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Seems to be a General - probably a Lieutenant General or Major General, from what I can make of the shoulder boards

4. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Afraid I can't really help. However the West Yorks and the East Yorks were amalgamated in 1958 to form the Prince Of Wales Own Regiment. Maybe go to HERE and ask for their help, as someone at the museum will be the expert on this period of history and be able to maybe give you an answer.

Good luck!

5. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Afraid I can't really help. However the West Yorks and the East Yorks were amalgamated in 1958 to form the Prince Of Wales Own Regiment. Maybe go to HERE and ask for their help, as someone at the museum will be the expert on this period of history and be able to maybe give you an answer.

Good luck!

6. Tim Lynch

Tim Lynch Guest

Thanks for trying guys.

My guess is that the senior guy is either GOC Northern District or a Divisional Commander for one of the formations including the West Yorks so I have a shortlist and may be able to at least work out who he isn't.

I may have to go to the museum to ask but since they charge £20 a go for any research I'm in no hurry!

Cheers
    Tim

7. Kitty

Kitty New Member

if you can get to that area then try all of the local libraries/archives first. They will hold copies of old newspapers and local history books. May be something in there. I have an inkling this may be pre-war, not sure why but something about the uniforms isn't quite WW2. Unless there is a date written on the photo?

Contact all libraries and archives, any local history societies in your respective research areas, family history societies and newspapers.