Pilot remembered in Belgium air crash book

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Kyt, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

War pilot remembered in Belgium air crash book - Local News - News - General - Narromine News

Lancaster ND328

Took off 2216 from Grimsby. Reported to have crashed near St.Martens-Voeren (Liege), 21 km NE of Liege. all were buried 27 April by the Luftwaffe at St.Truiden. They have been subsequently re-interred at Heverlee War cemetery.

P/O A J T Armon
    Sgt D B Cox
    F/O R F Weedon
    Sgt G R Boxall RCAF
    Sgt D Jones
    Sgt L D Bowden RCAF
    F/Sgt J M Robertson

photo:
    Back row Sgt John Maxwell Robertson, rear gunner aged 21, Sgt George Boxall, bomb aimer, aged 26, Sgt Dennis Cox, engineer, aged 19 and Dave Jones, wireless operator, aged 26. Front row: F/D Reg Weedon, navigator aged 23, Sgt Arthur Armon, pilot aged 22, and Sgt Len Bowden, mid upper, aged 21.

Attached Files:

2. spidge

spidge Active Member

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Govaerts is researching another crash

Belgian historian's plea for Solihull airman - Solihull News

Lancaster LL887 Mission to Dusseldorf

Took off 22.46 from Grimsby. Cause of loss not established. Crashed close to the Belgian-Dutch frontier. Those killed were buried at Antwerpen-Deurne. They have been subsequently re- interred in the Schoonselhof Cemetery. Sgt Lynch was arrested whilst being hidden at Antwerp.

P/O W J Shaw
    Sgt W H Lynch PoW
    F/Sgt K Morgan RAAF PoW
    F/Sgt R Brookes Evd
    Sgt J.Ensor +
    P/O G H Williams +
    Sgt R A Bacon POW

Sgt Lynch was sheltered until captured 6Jun44 with the Cannaerts family in Heultje, (Brussels or Antwerp?). Interned in Camp L7. PoW No.122. The two ladies of the Cannaerts family still have his uniform and have made a request for his whereabouts Apr98.

4. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

I was going to say Robertson would most likely be a gunner as he trained at Port Pirie - possibly on Battles. Not many nice things said about training there - hot, dusty, remote.

I can't remember who told me, might have been David Bennett the Lanc MU gunner I interviewed for a while (but I doubt it somehow), but one trainee gunner, on completion of the exercise was being flown back to base when his Polish pilot asked if he was strapped in. He was and the Battle subsequently went into a screaming dive, pulled up and looped. Apparently, the pilot wanted to see if it was aerobatic!