Poppies....

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Kitty, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Kitty

Kitty New Member

The Poppies now represent the poppies of Helmand as much as the red fields of Flanders.

But why, in a time when the support for the troops has never been higher, do so many people still refuse to give to the poppy appeal?:noidea:

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Who knows? Cheap and miserable?

3. Kitty

Kitty New Member

it's odd. i stood selling poppies for 3 hours in a very busy supermarket this year. And 99% of people looked guilty and scuttled past. And the most rude offenders were those born during or just after the second world war.

4. Antipodean Andy

I do find it strange. I have to admit to not liking being accosted, or feeling like I'm being accosted, by people trying to raise money and guilt me out. The only charities I give to are the Royal Flying Doctor Service and the RSL/Poppy Appeal/Legacy or whatever is collecting for returned service types and their families. If I didn't limit myself, I'd be handing out money left right and centre and there's books, a mortgage and a wife to provide for (actually, Jodi does more providing than me but you know what I mean).

Jodi used to sponsor a child in Chile and then one in Venezuala but stopped it when they put the price up and started preaching to her.

I bought a $5 poppy this year but was only trying to give the old fella the money. I said I didn't want anything in return but he thrust the poppy at me so...

5. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

I heard there was quite a few poppy tins that were stolen too !! :mad2: Just incredible isn't it ?

... I would have bought one from you Kitty !! :)

6. Antipodean Andy

Makes you wonder.

Given the threats of violence several of us have received from Kitty, Annie, we all would have been too scared not to buy a poppy off her...on top of that, of course, it's the right thing to do!

7. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Teehee!

The most i did was smile nicely for the people, but they nearly all put their heads down and scuttled past. A few pennies would have helped.

And yet there were a few, who obviously never gave to the appeal before, who came up and wanted to give. all of them asking how much was a poppy after the ongoing thing by other charities where they want a 'minimum suggested donation'. Now that i hate. You give what you can, not what they demand.

Its the war generation that confuse me. they all remember the fall out from it, the returning men and women who were badly scarred in one way or another, and yet they won't give. :noidea:

8. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

It seems good intentions do not merit a dip in one's pockets...and it is the same for many other charity collectors