Private Tomasi Kitinga

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by liverpool annie, Jan 17, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

How terribly sad is this ?? ....

Private Tomasi Kitinga

In 1942 Lieutenant John Nunneley was posted to the King’s African Rifles (KAR) in Kenya. Here he met Tomasi Kitinga, aged 16, from the Luo tribe. John, 19, employed him as his personal servant and a strong friendship developed between them. In 1944 personal servants were told by the KAR to either enlist as askaris (soldiers) or return home. Determined to stay with John, Tomasi enlisted as an askari. In Burma’s Kabaw Valley John led his askaris in an attack on an enemy position. They were forced to withdraw under enemy fire. Tomasi, pleased that John had not been killed, rushed to greet him and was shot dead by a Japanese machine-gunner. Tomasi was buried on the road to Mandalay and is commemorated at the Commonwealth War Cemetery, Rangoon.

World War Two - Private Tomasi Kitinga

2. war hawk

war hawk New Member

It doesn't make me feel any happier.:deadhorse: I am suprised I never heard this I will have to look it up.

3. liverpool annie

The Lieutenant has written a couple of books ! here's an article from the Burma Star !

Nunneley

4. liverpool annie

And here's one of them ....... Tales From the King's African Rifles by John Nunneley. Fascinating first person account of classic colonial soldiering with the K.A.R. in East Africa and Burma. If you like Hemingway and Capstick you'll like this! Hardbound 212 pages photos
    1B5977R

Annie