Racism?

Discussion in 'Barracks' started by CTNana, Mar 26, 2009.

1. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

I unreservedly apologise if I have got this wrong.

Was this really a racist joke

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Jason 'sorry' for Pakistani joke

or merely a play on words?

I am useless at remembering jokes but I'm sure that loads have circulated over the years involving the use / misuse of somebodies name.

Adrian's recent post regarding jokes at the expense of Irish people keeps rattling about my head since there are obviously a small percentage of people who believe the silly message to be indicative of a truth.

I appreciate that there is a fine line between teasing and bullying. That racism can perhaps be defined as an extreme form of bullying but I am still trying to find the offensive part of David Jason's joke.

I have two older brothers and was teased mercilessly. At first there were times when I hated it, but I learned very quickly to share the joke and not to take myself too seriously.

There are so many displays of open hatred and hostility towards all sorts of people which we could and should address.

What do you all think? Was the BBC over-reacting?

2. Heidi

Heidi New Member

I don't think it is racist, Every nationnality gets pick on and i don't think muslims understand this.
    Personally ,i think the Asian race gets picked on more than any other race and the white race gets pick on aswell,so i don't understand why the whole world has to bow down to the muslims.

3. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

Mahatma Gandhi was a Hindu!

The "Mahatma Coat" joke is a very old one and not particularly funny. But its not really racist, just a play on someones name: but as he wasn't a Pakistani there is a degree of stereotyping going on. Everyone is terrified of being thought of as racist and there is a considerable degree of self-righteousness in people's reactions, but I think Jason should have known better.

4. Golden Wattle

Golden Wattle New Member

All,
    I'm White, Australian, Male & Married, no matter I say or do it's wrong.

Ha!

5. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Oh Golden wattle man for a start a fanatstic Call sign and Avartar,
    What you say "It at times" seems so so right, down here in OZ,

6. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Some people use acauctions of racism as a weapon.
    I not saying this bloke is or isn't, just saying what i wrote in the first sentence

7. Golden Wattle

Golden Wattle New Member

Hi Cobber,
    The world always needs a "fall guy", at the moment it's us, we can do no right.
    It doesn't bother me, I know I didn't kill, rape or pillage any one. I pay my taxesand give to charity. I respect my elders, although that list is getting shorter every year, Ha!

Me, I always blame the politicians, they are such an easy target, not so bright, have their snouts in a trough, and couldn't lie straight in bed.

Ha!

Cheers

8. Heidi

Heidi New Member

GW. You're funny. I love you're personalty and the way you talk Ha! i love it!

9. Golden Wattle

Golden Wattle New Member

Thanks for your praise Heidi, I deserve it, I think I'm funny as well.
    Ha!

GW
    P.S.
    CTNana,
    That joke was around 40 years ago.
    It's only now that it is Politically incorrect.
    Everybody is so sensitive these days.
    If people want hate you or really insult you they don't have to use words.
    Their looks & deeds will do it for them.
    I wish the world would "chill out"
    "Laugh & the worlds laughs with you"

10. spidge

spidge Active Member

No one has said what the joke or play on words actually says.

Cloakroom attendant - My hat - my coat - Mahatma Coat!

He possibly should have known better than to tell a joke at all.

I feel everyone is just getting a little too precious with this racist and PC line.

There is a terrible lot of reverse racism that goes on.

People can call me Skip or Skippy and there is a big giggle however if I replied I am a racist.

11. spidge

spidge Active Member

12. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

When a friend and I finished university she went on to train as a social worker and tried to convice me to too.

"Why?" I asked.

"Because you are exactly what they want"

She got an "eh?" in reply

"you are male, disabled and Asian.....shame you aren't gay or you would have the full package"

I declined the offer :D

13. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Mainly expleteives.

I am both an ethnic minority and disabled, and in my professional life I have had a lot of dealings with the old CRE and DRC (they have all combined into the Equality and Human Rights Commission), and one thing I can say with certainty is that Phillips talks out of his arse. He not only alienated many other organsiations and companies with his critiscms, but also most of the people he was supposed to be representing.

14. Golden Wattle

Golden Wattle New Member

KYT.
    ROFL.
    Don't they see the racism & reverse discrimination.
    The scary part is "they" mean well.
    Gawd help us.

GW

15. spidge

spidge Active Member

I have found that in Australia it is not the minorities that are requesting these changes it is the do gooder Aussies that think they should do something.

An Aussie decided not to serve ham sandwiches at Broadmeadows Town Hall functions as it may upset the Muslims.

An Aussie in a Sydney Kindergarten had the Nativity scene moved to the back of the hall just in case........................................

An Aussie at another Kindergarten banned the singing of Christmas Carols as it may upset the 3 out of 22 of the families whose children attended that Kindergarten.:>:>:>

16. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Spidge, there is an entire industry out there who rely upon being able to show that they are making things better for society, and when they cannot find a target they have to create one.

It's not just in the areas of race and ethnicity that these meddlers cause more problems than they fix. I work as a disabilties consultant, and half my work involves going in and sorting out the mess created by local "****-wits" who have read the PC pamphlet on disability equality and think they know it all now. :frusty:

17. Heidi

Heidi New Member

:agree:I see. They even try and banned Christmas all together at one Kindergarten,that made me mad.

18. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Firstly the MahatmaCoat joke has been around since Jesus were a lad, so everyone knows it. Its merely a play on words of a well known name. Same as all those jokes about wenglish?Welsh?scots?Irish/Aussies etc etc etc. Its taking the michael out of stereotypes. I cannot see the problem.
    The main thing in this story is that NO-ONE complained. The ones who made the fuss and made it public was the radio station itself, when only the presenter and engineer heard it, who then edited it out of the interview. So what is the damn problem?
    The issue here is that a lot of individuals are so damn scared of being accusesd of racism when thay aren't that they are pre-empting everything and making a hash of it.
    To me this joke wasn't racist, just plain bad.
    Just mountains out of molehills.

19. David Layne

David Layne Active Member

Something to offend almost everyone!

A history teacher asks a class full of kids 'What was Churchill famous for?'
    A*kid at the back shouts out 'He was the last*white man to be called Winston!'

Did you hear about the look-a-like competition in*China*?*
    Everybody won.*

What's the ideal weight for a mother-in-law?*
    About 2.3 pounds including the urn.*

Was so depressed last night that I rang the Samaritans.
    Got through to a call centre in*Pakistan*.*
    Told them I was suicidal, they got all excited and asked if
    I could fly a plane......

A black man takes a girl home from a nightclub. She says 'Show me it's true what they say about black men'
    So he stabbed her and nicked her purse.*

I parked in a disabled space today and a traffic warden
    shouted to me...*'Oi, what's your disability?'*

I said 'Tourettes! Now f**k off!'*

A man is in a queue at Tesco and sees this busty blonde staring at him, he can't believe she is staring at him, then she starts waving.*

'Excuse me do I know you?' he asks

'Yes I think you are the father of one of my kids' she says.*

The man thinks back and remembers his one act of infidelity and says 'Are you the bird I shagged on my stag night, whilst your mate whipped me and your other mate stuck a brush up my arse?'*

'No' she replies 'I'm your son's English teacher!'*

*I said to the wife, 'I thought I saw your name on a loaf of bread today, but when I looked again it said 'Thick Cut' '*

What's the difference between Harold Shipman and Tony Blair?*

Shipman actually did something about NHS waiting lists.*

A bride on her wedding night says to her husband 'I must confess darling, I was a hooker!'.*

He says 'That's all right, dear. Your past is your past, but I must admit that I find it quite erotic. Tell me about it'.*

She replies 'Well, my name was Nigel, and I played for*Wigan*!'.
    >

20. John

John Active Member

The do-gooders even tried to ban Santa and xmas decorations in some shopping centre's. Long live freedom.:eek:mg: