RAF burn injuries more prevalent overseas

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Antipodean Andy, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

While reading ER Mayhew's outstanding The Reconstruction of Warriors - an examination of the development and operation of the RAF burns units during the war - I came across an interesting statistic in relation to this type of injury.

From page 85:

It was burns (and frostbite - burns by other means) that were not only the most serious injuries suffered by aircrew but also required a complicated and very lengthy treatment and recovery period, often for the remainder of the war. The severity of burn injuries and all their consequences is recognised throughout the official histories, with one volume calling them, ' the dominant problem for the RAF Medical Service'. Although representing only 4.8 per cent of the total injuries inflicted on the whole service (as opposed to 40 per cent total for multiple fractures), their consequences were far more serious than any other injuries, especially those inflicted on home service personnel. Burn injuries to RAF crew abroad, whilst more numerous (7.8 per cent of total injury totals) were less severe, mostly leg burns which required the attention of general field surgeons for simple grafting and less demanding nursing care.

Okay, several thoughts here. My first one, and the reason for this thread, is why were burn injuries on overseas RAF-types more common? The only thing I can think of so far is the types of aircraft used. Throughout the war, the Hurricane was used overseas and, if hit in the wing tanks and set on fire, the open wing roots and cockpit floor would draw the flames into the cockpit. I've also considered long term use of the Wellington as the fabric covering did burn rather well.

The only climate issue I could come up with was with regard to North Africa. Perhaps the arid conditions dried out flammable material more extensively?

Eighty per cent of Guinea Pig members are/were Bomber Command lads. In terms of severity, why were overseas bods less injured? I had a couple of thoughts on this also. Four-engined bombers were more prevalent at "home" and if suffering from injured crewmen, but still flying, were more likely to get home when compared to, say, a similarly incapacitated low-level strike aircraft. That doesn't make sense as there were too many variables so why were overseas burns injuries less severe?

Clothing? Less was worn in the hotter climes than at "home". This could explain the large amount of leg injuries from lighter clothing when on daylight ops? Aircraft? Possibly as older types were more common overseas for longer periods of time. Enemy? Overseas includes the Japanese in the Far East of course. Could they have used more or less incendiary? Certainly the capabilities and sophistication of the German defences over Europe were eminently higher than anywhere else (and extensive use of night fighters).

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Two points:

1) the above statistics are for those who were injured but made it back to base for treatment

2) what was the overall casualty/loss rates relative to force size and return rate? By that, I mean, how many aircraft damaged in combat made it back to base where injured crew could be treated?

As to severity, in a lot of missions, be it fighter or bomber, the aircraft were flying much lower than BC over Europe. So they may have had more time to ditch before the aircraft was completely engulfed. As a lot of aircrew in North Africa and the FE flew in shorts, that would explain leg burns before they landed.

3. Antipodean Andy

Thanks Kyt. I was about to edit my post with regard to lower operating heights.

No idea re point 2 but I assumed the injury percentages mentioned were only for those who made it back for treatment.

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Somewhere I have a load of RAF medical journals from the war. It will have to be a hard trawl but I'll have a look to see if there is anything in there

5. Antipodean Andy

Oh dear, what have I done?

6. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Nowt at the moment as it's 23.30 and I ain't rooting through dusty boxes tonight :D

7. Antipodean Andy

Dust mask for Mr Toor.

8. Jerome

Jerome Member

Another possibility re low level flights is that O2 was not required as in Europe with the high flights - which would explain perhaps the very severe facial burns?

9. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

From the Medical Training Establishment Journal 1941. I am still going through the volume so there maybe later articles of interest to follow

Attached Files:

10. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

I'm not sure if this maybe an answer to your original question Andy ... but I read that the boys who went into the sea ( as opposed to coming down on land ! ) had less severe injuries because of the sea water - thats why they started using saline to treat burns !!

OBHS FOUNDATION - In Memoriam

Annie

11. Antipodean Andy

I was thinking that just yesterday, Annie. Thanks heaps for the link. Good reading, K, it's like seeing history develop.

12. Antipodean Andy

It's a bit scary when you're only nine pages into a book and have to stop to post about something you've just read!

From Norman Franks' Beyond Courage, Sub. Lt. Lindsey Polwin of the Fulmar Defence Flight based at LG16 encounters a Cant Z.1007 bombing 'his' convoy on February 12, 1942:

Polwin's gunner L/A Norman Davison was lost and the next thing Polwin remembered was being face down in the sea with his parachute still on and what was left of his Fulmar close by.

At that juncture, do any of the books on the Guinea Pigs have a listing of every member? I only wonder as I'm interested to know whether Polwin was returned to England for treatment.

13. liverpool annie

Just thought I'd mention this ....... :brick:

Apparently there is a group photo on page 259 of this book ...... G.A. Woods - Wings at sea - WWII ..... including Linsay Polwin

Wonder if anybody has it already ?? ( as in " Kyt " maybe ?? )

RAF

This is a group photo on a flight deck so not all faces are clear, but the names are there.

Page 126 Sub - Lieutenants unless mentioned
    P.H. CHAMBERS
    SNELGROVE
    DU CANE
    J.M. HENRY
    SMUTS SMITH?
    F. NORMAN
    P.A. GRANT
    G. TOPHAM
    D?. JAMES
    Lieut J.N. SHRUBSOLE

Group photo - page 120
    Sub Lt Leonard MANN
    Gerald A. WOODS
    Midshipman F.J. NORMAN
    Lieut Ivan FISHER

Group photo - page 259
    Lieutenants
    J.D. KELSALL
    W. GILL,
    Kenny NICHOLSON,
    Lindsay POLWIN

Lieutenant Commanders
    G. A. WOODS
    J.A. LEVERS
    Kit NICHOLSON
    E.G. MORGAN

Second Officer (female)
    KILMINSTER

WINGS AT SEA A Fleet Air Arm Observers War 1940-45 HC - eBay (item 380106826397 end time Mar-27-09 10:04:31 PDT)

14. Antipodean Andy

Good find, Annie. I've seen that book once before but wasn't successful in buying it.

15. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Afraid not Annie. Like Andy I have seen it a few times but never got a chance to buy it. However, that seller on ebay is taking the 'p' - copies are available on Amazon for a quarter of that price, or less.

16. Antipodean Andy

LOL, somewhere out there someone has our book/s!

17. Antipodean Andy

Another incident of light clothing. Doesn't add much to the discussion above but thought it might be of interest.

From Six O'Clock Diamond by Gus Officer (p112 onwards):

Jock Watson was with 92 Sqn but while waiting for Spitfires to be assigned they were seconded to 80 Sqn flying Hurri Mk IIcs. After an eventful, but brief, operational career (from about June '42):

18. liverpool annie

I was reading that one of the RAF burn victim vets with facial reconstruction was a special extra in the movie The Battle of Britain ... it's been so long since I've seen it ... I can't remember !

Has anybody watched it recently ?

Battle of Britain (1969)

19. Antipodean Andy

IIRC, Annie, he was WG Foxley, a bomber type.

20. liverpool annie

You're right Andy .... and he was still alive in December 2007 ! - God Bless him !

BILL FOXLEY

Foxley, admitted to Queen Victoria Hospital in 1944 with horrific burns to his hands, face and corneas, had to have extensive surgery. Three years later he held his wedding reception at the hospital. Now 84, he says being a Guinea Pig means ‘everything’ to him

The last of the few - Times Online

Bill Foxley.
    It was March 16 1944 when we pranged our bomber during training. I managed to escape relatively unscathed, but went back to help my crewmates. The plane was like an inferno. I had to climb out of the astrodome at the top and that's when I got burnt. Three of the crew were killed and three, including me, survived.

At East Grinstead I had 29 operations over three and a half years, rebuilding my face and repairing what was left of my hands. The surface of my eyes were burnt and I lost my right eye.
    I've managed to lose the glass one in all sorts of places - most recently in Sainsbury's - but I've just had another operation to strengthen the socket using membrane from my mouth, so it should stay in place now.
    When people ask me how my experiences have affected me, I say it's your personality that will come through, whatever. I've never let it worry me too much, I've just got on with it . Before I retired, I worked for the Electricity Generating Board and took the train up to London every day. There'd always be an empty seat next to me. Someone would go to sit down and then change their mind when they saw me. I used to tell them, "It's all right, I'm not going to bite you!"
    Articles from The Guardian, Saturday November 11 2006
    Ray Brooke
    Bill's my oldest friend. We first met in 1942 at the beginning of our training. When I got sent to Canada and Bill to Northern Ireland, I didn't expect to see him again.

Then, one day in East Grinstead, I overheard one of the nurses saying Bill Foxley's hair was starting to grow back. I asked if they could take me to him. Of course we didn't recognise each other because of all the bandages, but we knew each other's voices. I remember asking him where he'd got his dressing gown - it was bright orange with a big black dragon on the back.
    I was stationed at Kirkham in Lancashire when the accident happened. It was August 23 1944, and I was off duty with three mates when a terrible storm blew up. We got caught right in the middle, so we made a run for it to our local cafe, The Sad Sack Snack Bar. Meantime, an American B-24 Liberator bomber had taken off on a test flight when it hit the storm and came down . It crashed through the snack bar and continued on, through the infants' wing of the local school before coming to a halt. Sixty one people, including 38 children, were killed. It was the worst air incident of the war. Ironically, at that time the rest of the country was celebrating - Paris had been liberated and victory was finally in sight. I'd burnt my face, hands and right leg. I had between 40 and 50 operations over five years. At East Grinstead, my principle surgeon was one of Archie's team, a man called Gerry Moore, who had himself been a flyer and then became a plastic surgeon. The Guinea Pig Club and the comradeship of the lads has kept us all going. I still meet Bill and several other Pigs every week for a pint.
    There is an article/interview with Bill dated 2nd Dec 2007

William Foxley starred in the movie The Battle of Britain

War Is a Helluva Teacher : NPR

Photograph: Lucinda Marland