Rebuilding and cleaning up after the war

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by DFC, Jul 2, 2009.

1. DFC

DFC New Member

I am asking for replies as to how long and how hard it was too clean the massive damage and rebuild to a level similar to before the war.
    Where do you start ,what was first thing done :help:and so on ,when were things sort of back to normal .Look at any of the big cities in Germany what a mess .
    Thanks AJ

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

In Germany the reconstruction depended upon which Zone we are talking about. The local populations in all four zones were forced to work in clearing rubble etc in return for food (if they weren't already occupied in other necessary work).

The reconstruction, rather than the clearances of damage, didn't start taking affect for a decade or more.

In Britain, many of the bombed cities still had vast tracts of land that did not start getting cleared and rebuilt upon until the 1960s, and in those areas many of the concrete housing blocks were built (which are all now being demolished because of how bad the were for the social and psychological well-being of residents)

3. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

The razing of the Japanese cities must surely have taken years too but I imagine things changed rapidly after an initial struggle.

This looks interesting despite the price although it's reported as $60 elsewhere.
    Rebuilding Urban Japan After 1945

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

5. mathsmal

mathsmal New Member

There are still bits of Plymouth which are bomb sites! Not many, but a few. Mostly used as small car parks now, or patches of 'park' at the end of rows of terraces.

6. DFC

DFC New Member

I was asking the question because In hollywood movies ( yes i know movies )only a few years after the war the main cities are shown to be just about as if nothing happened I assumed it would take ages just to clear the ruins let alone rebuild
    Thanks AJ

7. Heidi

Heidi New Member

Hollywood movies are made in the USA.
    USA cities where never bomb ever during ww2, so that's why the cities in those movies during and after the ww2 looked brand new and never been touched.