Roll of Honour - Lancastria

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by liverpool annie, Oct 1, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

All those who died on 17 June 1940

The following list of names has been compiled by author of "The Forgotten Tragedy" Brian Crabb.

The sheer size of the Lancastria disaster and the fact that the troopship sank in the estuary of the River Loire, trapping many people inside the hull, means that a great many of the bodies were never recovered. A considerable number of those who escaped the sinking never had life jackets and could not swim. It is a fact that bodies were found weeks and, in some cases, months later, north and south of Saint-Nazaire, along the French coast; some more than one hundred miles from where the Lancastria sank.

Victim List

2. sniper

sniper Active Member

There is a memorial at the town where the ship sunk but this is not a recognised CWGC memorial and those that are missing are listed either on the Brookwood Memorial in Surrey for any Army personnel, RAF personnel are remembered on the Runnymede Memorial again in Surrey and i believe the the Naval personnel are listed on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial in Hampshire. Anyone who wishes pics of any of the memorials i do have both Brookwood and Portsmouth complete and i do have a huge amount of Runnymede completed so please just ask if you want an email pic of a name or just some general shots.

Sniper