Royal Naval Vessel types

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Keith, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi Hugh,
    I suppose the logical posting of line drawings would be in alphabetical order so herewith some Aircraft Carriers.
    Cheers
    Keith

2. Keith

Keith New Member

Royal Navy Vessel Types

Hi Hugh,
    We better have a few more
    Cheers
    Keith

3. Hugh

Hugh New Member

Another good set of line drawings, Keith.
    I note my old aircraft carrier HMS ARK ROYAL (RO9) is not there, do you have it?

HMS ILLUSTRIOUS and her class including the present ARK ROYAL - noted as a support carrier. These ships are not traditional carriers as was my old ship. They were designed originally as through deck cruisers. We don't have any "real" carriers anymore and I wonder if we will ever see the two carriers currently on order, which I believe have been delayed to the inevitable cost cutting.

Thanks again
    Hugh

4. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

The RAN was lucky enough to acquire a couple of Maestic class carriers - a throw away version of the Colossus class Keith posted above. We got good service out of the Sydney and Melbourne but they, especially Melbourne, were were use well passed their use-by date!

5. Keith

Keith New Member

Attached Files:

6. Hugh

Hugh New Member

Ark royal iii

Hello Keith,

This picture is the third ship to bear the name ARK ROYAL having been laid down on 16th September 1935 at Cammell Laird's shipyard at Birkenhead. She was launched on the 13th April 1937 and was commissioned on 16th November 1938. She became the Flagship of the Vice Admiral Aircraft Carriers, and during the Second World War she had a wide variety of roles. She was involved in the search for the GRAF SPEE in the South Atlantic during 1939, the Norwegian Campaign in April/May of 1940, and in June 1940 took part in the attacks on the French Fleet at Oran when France had fallen to the Germans. She then joined the famous Force 'H' based on Gibraltar and took part in many successful operations during the following 15 months in the Mediterranean, including convoys to Malta and in the operation which ended in the sinking of the BISMARK. Repeatedly the Germans claimed in their propaganda war that the ARK ROYAL had been sunk, the first time being as early as the 26th September 1939. She finally met her end at 06:13 on the 14th November 1941 when, having been torpedoed the previous afternoon by a U-81, she turned over and sank within sight of Gibraltar.

The ship I served on was the fourth to bear the name ARK ROYAL. Her keel was laid down at Cammell Laird's Shipyard on 3rd May 1943. She was launched on the 3rd May 1950, by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother.

I had the
    privilege to serve on her during her final commission 1977 - 1979. We entered Plymouth on Monday 4th December 1979 and as we approached our berth, thousands of wives, children and sweethearts were patiently waiting to be re-united with their menfolk at the end of this deployment. At 08:50 the order to ring off was given by Captain Anson and back came the reply "Engines Rung Off for the last time, Sir".

We have not had a "real carrier", in my opinion, since these engines were rung off.

Regards

Hugh

7. Keith

Keith New Member

Ark Royal

Hi Hugh,
    Best I can dig up quickly from my own books.
    Cheer
    Keith.
    PS Did you catch my " Bravest of the Brave" thread ?

Attached Files:

8. Hugh

Hugh New Member

Thanks, Keith. That is ARK ROYAL IV.
    I will look at the thread now
    Regards
    Hugh

9. Keith

Keith New Member

British Naval Ships

Hi Hugh,
    Another great ship
    Cheers
    Keith
    This is my 6th. try after chopping and downsizing, hope it works

Attached Files:

10. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

A couple of poignant sentences there with reference to her extensive armour and that she was due for replacement in 1941.

11. Hugh

Hugh New Member

Hi Andy,
    You got there before me. There is something quite profund reading that years after the event - little did the author know about what was to happen.

Regards
    Hugh

12. Keith

Keith New Member

HMS Ark Royal

Hi Hugh and Andy,

Another couple of images I found on a well stocked Things Navy site,
    Oldships.org.uk.
    Well worth a visit.
    :phone:
    Cheers
    Keith
    PS Not sure if I like the painting, but I know Annie will.

Attached Files:

13. Keith

Keith New Member

sub1001.jpg
    An interesting and unfortunately well founded statement from Nelson's First Sea Lord.

Cheers
    Keith DCXXXII