Royal Navy - seasickness?

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Kyt, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I was reading something yesterday and it was mentioned, in passing, that an RAF aircrew trainee was washed out because of chronic airsickness.

Made me wonder whether the same happened in RN? Unlike the RAF, where all aircrew were volunteers, I assume that RN ratings were assigned duties without being given a choice.

I'm sure seasickness would have been a problem for some, even on calm waters. And the pills, if they are anything the ones available now, wouldn't have been the greatest of help. So was seasickness a valid medical reason for change of assignent to shore duties?

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

I just read in Hordern's A Merciful Journey of one seaman on the Fairmile (ML 814)getting very seasick. The Lieutenant gave him a good helping of whiskey which was subsequently brought back up several minutes later but the seaman immediately looked and felt a lot better. Some time later, this "first aid" was refused to some seaman who asked to receive a "dose"!

Doesn't answer your question, K.

3. Hugh

Hugh New Member

Mal de mer

Everyone has to be able to serve at sea and I have never heard of anyone being transferred ashore because of the dreaded mal de mer.

I remember being on watch with another lad who suffered terribly with this. He spent most of his watch with his head over the side and I had to do the work of two. I believe he left the service not long after. Thankfully I never suffered from this condition, if I did then the sea would have been the wrong career choice.

Regards
    Hugh