SEAC Liberators

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Kyt, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

This is an amazing site on the Liberator Squadrons who served in Burma and the Far East:

http://www.acseac.co.uk/

I works very well in conjunction with the two volume "Burma Liberators - RCAF in SEAC" John R. W. Gwynne-Timothy (but these can be hard to find as they are currently out of print).

2. spidge

spidge Active Member

Great source Kyt.

Covers the Indian Ocean as well.

3. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Must get those books one day! Excellent stuff, Kyt.

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

You may not like them Andy - there are no pictures :mosking:

5. Antipodean Andy

B*tch. :)

Did I mention Desert Scorpions arrived while I was away (and Just One of the Many and Not Peace but a Sword)? No, well it did, and it's magnificent. Truly one of, if not the, best sqn history books I've ever seen. They wasted some pages by including pics though so might not be your cup of tea, Mr Toor!

LOL, am enquiring with the book shop that sold it about postage to the UK, air and sea. Will let you know.

6. Antipodean Andy

Noticed a new book at Hylands Military Bookshop last night (first visit - am in awe and rather chuffed to see what they had ) by, I think, Pen & Sword, titled along the lines of Far East Liberators. A good, rare topic to cover...might even have some pictures...

EDIT: don't worry, it was Liberators of the Eastern Front - a memoir of a 178 Sqn crewman flying out of Foggia, Italy. Saw so many books last night, got a little excited. Still, a good subject especially given recent 178 investigations on here.

7. RAFLibs

RAFLibs Member

I have a heap of Operations Records for 178 Squadron, if you give me the name of the 178 Crewman I can probably pull together his logs or at least list his Ops.

8. Antipodean Andy

Hi Gaz - Raymond John Bailey. No idea of rank as nothing firm to date.

9. RAFLibs

RAFLibs Member

Do you mean John Bailey of 178 Squadron? He lives about 6km from Tom Scotland or did. Was on the same crew as Pointing from Tasmania (if remember) I've been in touch with his grandson as well. If this is the same Bailey yeah I should have records for his time with the Squadron, 1944 I think.

10. Antipodean Andy

Certainly sounds about right, Gaz. It'll be brilliant if you have further details. He now lives in the RAAF Association retirement village.