Security Stuff Up

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by John, Nov 7, 2008.

1. John

John Active Member

2. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

This is nothing to what has been going on over here!

For a start, a contractor to the Governments Benefits Agency lost two discs containing the names, addresses and bank details of 25 million people who receive Child Benefit - i.e every parent and child in the country including me and the Prime Minister. No one knows when or how it might be used for identity fraud.

A laptop containing the names addresses and bank details of everyone who expressed interest in joining the armed forces was stolen.

The list goes on.... A Civil Servant was fined £2000 for leaving confidential information on a train. A junior Government minister did the same thing and seems to have got away with it.

The invention of the laptop, CD-R and memory stick has been a disaster for security. But its not a new thing. We had a thread on here a few weeks ago that mentioned (if I remember rightly) that uncoded documents about the defences of Singapore were sent out there by ship in the early part of WW2, and the ship was boarded by a German vessel (can't remember which one, a commerce raider I think) and the information passed to the Japanese who used the info to plan their invasion.

3. John

John Active Member

Scary stuff isn't it Adrian