Seeking answers about my 5th Great Grandfather Seth Capron

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Bob Score, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Bob Score

Bob Score New Member

Hello everyone,

I should have posted here before I posted on the other forum. I've always been told about my ancestor Seth Capron serving in the Revolutionary War. I've been trying to sift through what has been fact and what has been family lore. The story goes that Seth was too young and too short for the War and was mustered out on his first try. He then apparently raised himself on his toes to get into the Continental Army. He served under Col. William Shepard's 4th Mass Reg. I had also always been told that he sailed the barge carrying George Washington in Dec 1783 and was the last soldier to receive the benediction. I have no idea if this is at all true.

As I noted in the other forum. I did find in some of his written documents when applying for his Revolutionary Pension that he notes he was part of the Spy Boat Services on the Hudson River. His service record does show he was in Peekskill in 1781 at both the Camp at Continental Village and York Huts. And also I was able to track down some documents where he signed for requesting Provisions and Rations for men on George Washington's Barge.

I'm still researching all of this. I just want to understand it a little more and hopefully knock off some of the family lore that may have been behind this.

If anyone has any comments, suggestions or anything I'd be more than grateful for anything! Thanks!

Bob