Serial numbers

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Pathfinder, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Guest

Hey all,

I've found sites about Halifax and Lancaster serial numbers, but I can't find serial numbers that weren't used.

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Not sure what you mean Pathfinder. Serial numbers were allocated according to production blocks, and so weren't necessarily sequential for a particular aircraft type. In between what seems like a continous run, may come a block of Spifires that were produced at about the same time.

There is no single source of serial numbers on the net. For that you would have to consult a series of books on serials produced by Air-Britain

3. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

try this,

UK Serials

4. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Perhaps just refer to the aircraft as Sugar?

5. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Guest

Good idea Andy.

It might be a bit repetitive using the serial number.

So when the original "Sugar" gets wrecked in late '42, would "Sugar 2nd" have replaced it?

6. Antipodean Andy

Makes the aircraft a character as well.

Don't forget that, being new boys, they most likely would have flown in a number of different Lancs so you don't have to introduce Sugar straight away. Even an experienced crew was not guaranteed the same aircraft. Actually, that'd make a good episode - late in their first tour they have to fly a different Lanc after x amount in Sugar (and Sugar's flight test does not go well after repairs), they think it's a bad omen, it's a rough trip and they only just make it back...or they ditch close to home and are picked up by an RAF launch, all because they weren't flying their "lucky" aircraft!

For ditchings, ask Morseman and read Graham Pitchfork's Shot Down and In the Drink.

Sorry, probably should stop putting ideas in your head and confusing you!

7. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Guest

No, it's okay Andy :)

Maybe I should put you guys down in the "Acknowledgements" part since you've helped me out a lot.

8. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

Then the crew will act like a man who is in his second marriage, the new will never be as good as the old one! They can bitch about that!

Also, bear in mind that the life of a average lanc was measured in hours rather than months or years.

9. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

or just either read "the sea Shall Not Have Them", as it was based upon a real incident, where a pilot drifted into the mouth of the Maas river, and the author was a Skipper on the boats who took part in rescues. Or watch it as is available on DVD these days. it was filmed in the late 1940s, using wartime kit, procedures and lingo!

Another good source, is the film , Rendezvous in London, with Dirk Bogarde, my old CO from the Aircadets said that the bombing scene was the closest that he had ever seen to the real thing.

10. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Guest

I've read the book several times. It's a good story.

So, would the DVD be available on Amazon then Morse?

P.S.
    So, you're saying that Sugar gets grounded (say because of faulty electronics in the H2S) and they go back to flying that bitch "D" Dog again?

11. Antipodean Andy

James, you mentioned D-Dog had props that always seemed to run in coarse pitch. The aircraft would have been flight tested regularly after remedial work so perhaps have a few varied things go wrong with it when the guys fly her. Little things like the Elsan falling off its mount etc that just make an op in Dog even more unpleasant. She could be flying perfectly for once until some corkscrewing loosens the Elsan!

12. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Guest

Thanks again Andy :)