Sharks share tank with 'walrus'

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Kyt, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

At first sight this story just seems like a novel venture but the background is very interesting

BBC NEWS | England | Devon | Sharks share tank with 'walrus'

Lost at Sea - Crash Landed RAF Walrus - Devon Attraction - National Marine Aquarium

That Walrus was of 10 Squadron RAAF and

Air Force News :: Top Stories

ASN Aircraft accident 18-JUN-1940 Supermarine Walrus Mk.I L2312

BBC - WW2 People's War - Rescuing Madame De Gaulle

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

What a novel and brilliant way to honour the crew and what a gallant but sad last flight for these men. The name of the pilot rings a bell with me for some reason. There's some interesting memorabilia held by the AWM including parts of his logbook:

AWM Collection Record: 044439 - RAF Station Mount Batten, Plymouth, Devon, England. 31 May 1940. Copy of the penultimate completed page of the flying log-book of Flight Lieutenant John Napier Bell, a pilot then serving with No. ...
    AWM Collection Record: 044447 - At Sea. c. 1939. Supermarine Seagull V (Walrus) amphibian aircraft, serial no. A2-1, being taxied by Flying Officer John Napier Bell alongside the 'County' Class cruiser HMAS Canberra for ...

An article from the RAAF's March 2008 issue of Flight Line. Good pic of the graves (note fresh flowers).
    Air Force : March 6th 2008, Page 19 - Defence Newspapers | Air Force

A photo of Napier in Australia:
    AWM Collection Record: 044440 - RAAF Base Richmond, NSW. c. 1938. Group portrait showing Flying Officer John Napier Bell (wearing cap) with his crew members of a Supermarine Seagull V (Walrus) of No. 5 (Fleet Cooperation) ...

Details from The Canberra Times of August 26, 1941 of Charles Harris' widow receiving compensation (for want of a better explanation):
    NLA Australian Newspapers beta - article display

Really wish I could get my hands on the 10 Squadron history. It'd be interesting to see how this incident is covered. Joe Leach's RAAF Flying Boats at War follows his career with 10 Squadron and beyond but his time wit 10 was well after this incident.

3. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Wonder if Geoff has pictures of the graves ??

Type: Walrus
    Serial number: L2312 (from No. 15 group Communication Flight)
    Operation: Evacuation De Gaulle family
    Lost: 18/06/1940

In Memory of
    Flight Lieutenant JOHN NAPIER BELL

162, Royal Australian Air Force
    who died age 24
    on 18 June 1940
    Son of John Henry and Eva Annie Bell, of Farina, South Australia.

Remembered with honour
    PLOUDANIEL CHURCHYARD

In Memory of
    Sergeant CHARLES WILLIAM HARRIS

1730, Royal Australian Air Force
    who died age 31
    on 18 June 1940
    Son of William Charles and Denah Christina Harris; husband of Joyce Florence Evelyn Harris, of Croydon, New South Wales, Australia.

Remembered with honour
    PLOUDANIEL CHURCHYARD

In Memory of
    Captain NORMAN EDWARD HOPE

141140, Intelligence Corps
    who died
    on 18 June 1940

Remembered with honour
    PLOUDANIEL CHURCHYARD

In Memory of
    Corporal BERNARD FELIX NOWELL

565931, 810 Sqdn., Royal Air Force
    who died age 25
    on 18 June 1940
    Son of Lawrence and Gertrude Nowell; husband of Susan Ann Nowell, of Bognor Regis, Sussex.

Remembered with honour
    PLOUDANIEL CHURCHYARD

Left Mount Batten at 02.00 hrs.

20/06/1940, 10 Sqdn. ORB (page 71): 'As no further advice received regarding Walrus No. 2312 which left for NORTH BRITTANY on 18th June, 1940, the personnel was officially posted as "missing".'

4. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Am I missing something here? 4 lives were lost and Madame De Gaulle and her children managed to get on the last boat unaware of the planned rescue attempt?

5. Antipodean Andy

Good point, CT. I guess the SOE agent would have known how to contact them.

6. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

This is certainly a story that deserves to be better known. I guess that part of the war, being essentially a defeat for the Allies, has never been as well documented as other aspects of the war, and the period after the final evacuation from Dunkirk when evacuations were still being made via Brest, Cherbourg, etc is particularly murky. The loss of SS Lancastria is a case in point.

I would have thought the Walrus would be operating at extreme range on this mission, and returning with five adults plus children plus enough fuel for the return would also have been at the limits of its capabilities.

I believe a genuine Walrus is well on its way to restoration as well as this replica.

7. Antipodean Andy