Sinking of the USS Indianapolis 1945

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by John, Mar 26, 2008.

1. John

John Active Member

Found this on a website by Mike Kemble on the sinking of the Idianapolis on July 30 1945. It is another example of cover up by a government. I Found it a good read.

USS Indianapolis

John :becky:

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

A ship that definitely needs to be found. I believe a search for her was conducted several years ago but to no avail. I'll see if I can find it...

Discovery Channel: News from The Search - Dispatch 10

Looks like the Discovery site doesn't host that news anymore...

Ah ha, here's the site for the book I've got (scored from second hand book shop in good nick!):

In Harm's Way: The Sinking of the USS Indianapolis and the Extraordinary Story of Its Survivors, by Doug Stanton - looks like the search used the same company and equipment used to find HMAS Sydney and the Kormoran. Another job for David Mearns?

In Harm's Way: The Sinking of the USS Indianapolis and the Extraordinary Story of Its Survivors, by Doug Stanton - hmm, this book might have just picked itself to be read next!

USS Indianapolis CA-35

3. Antipodean Andy

4. John

John Active Member

Andy,
    Thanks for those websites. I wonder if the yanks wanted to cover up the fact that this ship had delivered the atom bomb before she was sunk.

John

5. Antipodean Andy

A lot of stuff ups by perhaps complacent land-based personnel leading to a lot of ar*e-covering, I suspect. Those to suffer, of course, were the crew.

Definitely reading In Harm's Way next.

6. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

It is amazing the lengths that governments will go to cover up mistakes and disasters. I hope they find the ship.

I remember talking to one of the members in the Buffs club in Edinburgh and he told me that the RN destroyer that he was on, formed part of a RN rescue fleet to try and search for her.

7. spidge

spidge Active Member

A scapegoat pure and simple!

8. John

John Active Member

All government use the cover up method to save face, but the one I hate is when they bury the stuff-up for 100 years in government secrets files.

John

PS
    Does anyone know who Mike Kemble is ??. It's a great website he has.

9. spidge

spidge Active Member

10. John

John Active Member

Thank You, Spidge

11. robbielynne

robbielynne New Member

The Department of the Navy finally absolved Captain McVay of all charges pertaining to the sinking of the USS Indianapolis in October 2001..He was the scapegoat..it took them less than 5 months after the sinking of the Indie for the Navy to court martial the Captain..they even brought the commander of the Japanese sub in to testify against him..the commander said even if the Indie had been doing the zig zag pattern he still would have torpedoed the ship..if I recall he shot out 6 torpedoes and 2 of them hit the Indie..it sank in less than 15 minutes..out of 1200 men only 317 survived after the sinking and then of their four days in the ocean waiting to be rescued..It is a duty to never forget what happened on July 30th 1945 and to remember all of those men with Honor and Respect...sorry I get passionate about the story of the USS Indianapolis and the survivors stories always chokes me up..All of them true heroes.