Sonderkommando ELBE – German Kamikaze?

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Diptangshu, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

During April 1945 , Luftwaffe started a deadly mission , also known as Rammkommando ELBE , in which very young and half trained Luftwaffe pilots had to strike their planes against US B-17. Older models of Me 109,G 10/14,K 4 etc. been used to destroy or down the US bombers(B 24) to escape their tactical bombing.

By those days , Luftwaffe was bitterly running short of fuel and able pilots . Moreover they wanted to delay at least 6 weeks to pull out Messerschmitt Me 262 jet fighters , intended to regain air supremacy.

Hajo Hermann was the mastermind behind this and Goering put a green signal .

Having less idea ‘bout this mission , expecting some facts,technical and tactical highlights or even any name of book to avail..I think here the Me pilots had to bail out possibly before or after ramming.These pilots were also engaged in dog fight with Mustang.

I think the process were differ a bit from Kamikaze. Japanese suicide squad pilots rammed themselves along with their flying-machines .