The bloody battle of Tarawa, 1943

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Kyt, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

http://www.gjsentinel.com/news/cont...agerty_Column.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=5

2. spidge

spidge Active Member

I have walked nearly every foot of that Island on my visits there and it is hard to believe the devastation that took place there.

Betio where the battle was fought is a small island with a good harbour and less than two kilometres long and 800 metres at its widest.

Tarawa is the group of islands, not connected in those days.

One of your old images Kyt. Betio is the small island at the bottom left hand side.

View attachment 601

3. mikky

mikky Guest

Hi Spidge
    Looking on google earth it looks like a lot has changed on Betio.The islands seem connected now.Are the sea wall and pier still there?,and have you any good photos you could post?
    Cheers Mikky

4. spidge

spidge Active Member

Hi Mikky,

No photo's at all. Had a computer crash 3 years ago and had not transferred them to CD which is a crying shame however what I had is achievable again.

The pier is most definitely there however the Sea Wall? The only wall to the sea I know is between Bairiki and Betio now and is made of brick. The log sea walls as during the battle are still there in some areas.

When they put the causeway in, it altered the flow of the ocean and the lagoon to such an extent that the island we used to go to is now completely under water.

The islands are joined all of the way around past the airport at Bonriki where we used to go swimming on the ocean side. Too many floaters in the lagoon!

Most of the bunkers and "big" gun enclosures are still evident.

5. mikky

mikky Guest

Shame about your computer crash,it's easy to say.I'll save it tomorrow eh?
    Would love to see any you take next time.
    Regards Mikky