The British Army

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Keith, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi All,
    Mainly directed to our newer members.

First the regiments and corps modern day cap badges.
    I hope you will find this new thread useful.

Cheers
    Keith

Attached Files:

2. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi All,
    Maybe a few line drawings of kit may be interesting.
    Cheers
    Keith

Attached Files:

3. Keith

Keith New Member

TheBritish Army

Hi All,
    A few more drawings.

Attached Files:

4. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi All,
    The last of the first batch.
    If there is any interest I will load more, armour, vehicles, aircraft.

Cheers
    Keith

Attached Files:

5. smaja

smaja New Member

Fantastic pictures. Thanks Keith.

These are badges and equipment from 80's and early 90's. Only Guards, Royal Anglian Regiment, Royal Regiment of Fusiliers. Parachute regiment, Royal Scots Dragoon Guards, 9th/12th Royal Lancers and Royal tank Regiment are the same today. Of corse I only talking about Infantry and RAC regiments.

6. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi Smaja ?
    Hope I've got that right.
    Yes the illustrations are from the time I retired from the army, 1986, with most of my instruction manuals and books.
    Things have moved on since then, but I hope not that much, that they lose interest to members of the forum.
    That said I shall continue with the others which I think may arrouse some interest.
    Or until I get banned by Kitty !!!!!!!!!!!

:couch2:

Cheers
    Keith

7. smaja

smaja New Member

Sorry, my English isn't perfect :) . Well I don't know for other members but I have special interested in military signs, especially of British Army. But from the end of WW2 there ware so many changes, whit all those amalgamations of regiments. It needed some time for me to find how the new regimental badges looks. And from all that time only the Guards and Paras continue to wear the same badges on their berets. So if I can help I will be glad to do that.

Do you maybe have signs of armoured brigades during 1980's?

8. smaja

smaja New Member

The infantry in 1962 was divided into 15 separate brigades for administrative purposes:

* Guards Brigade: Grenadier Guards, Coldstream Guards, Scots Guards, Irish Guards, Welsh Guards.
    * Lowland Brigade: The Royal Scots, King's Own Scottish Borderers, Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) and Royal Highland Fusiliers.
    * Highland Brigade: The Black Watch, Gordon Highlanders, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders and Queen's Own Highlanders.
    * Home Counties Brigade: The Royal Sussex Regiment, Middlesex Regiment, Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment and Queen's Own Buffs.
    * Fusilier Brigade: Royal Northumberland Fusiliers, Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regt) and Lancashire Fusiliers.
    * East Anglian Brigade: 1st, 2nd and 3rd East Anglian Regiments
    * Forester Brigade: Royal Warwickshire Regiment (until November 1962), Royal Leicestershire Regiment, Sherwoord Foresters.
    * Mercian Brigade: Cheshire Regiment, Worcestershire Regiment, Staffordshire Regiment.
    * Welsh Brigade: Royal Welch Fusiliers, South Wales Borderers, Welch Regiment.
    * Wessex Brigade: Gloucestershire Regiment, Royal Hampshire Regiment, Devonshire and Dorset Regiment, Duke of Edinburgh's Royal Regiment.
    * Lancastrian Brigade: The Loyal Regiment (North Lancashire), King's Own Royal Border Regiment, King's Regiment and Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Volunteers).
    * Yorkshire Brigade: The Green Howards, Duke of Wellington's Regiment, Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire and York & Lancaster Regiment.
    * North Irish Brigade: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, Royal Irish Fusiliers, Royal Ulster Rifles.
    * Light Infantry Brigade: King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, King's Shropshire Light Infantry, Durham Light Infantry, Somerset and Cornwall Light Infantry.
    * Green Jackets Brigade: 1st Green Jackets (43rd and 52nd), 2nd Green Jackets (King's Royal Rifle Corps), 3rd Green Jackets (Rifle Brigade).

And here you can find their badges:

Attached Files:

• 222.pdf
      File size:
      2.7 MB
      Views:
  9. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi All,

For any who may have enjoyed the posted drawings and wish to persue a fuller description of each of these vehicles plus many more black and white pictures, they are from the the book which I have posted here.
    I'm not sure if it is available to the general public, but the publishers are Guild Publishing, London and distributed in 1986 by the Book Club Associates.
    Apart from my posted drawings, which I have kept to armour and vehicles most other items in use by the army are covered.

Cheers
    Keith

Attached Files:

10. Keith

Keith New Member

More Drawings

Cheers
    Keith

Attached Files:

11. Keith

Keith New Member

They keep on coming
    Cheers
    Keith

Attached Files:

12. Keith

Keith New Member

More and then some.
    Enough for tonight!

Cheers
    Keith

13. Keith

Keith New Member

Lets see if the forum is working within useable parameters

Not the way it was, can't upload or enter images

Ah. Well.

:playball:

Cheers
    Keith

14. spidge

spidge Active Member

Apologies Keith.

The problem cannot be detected.

Hopefully Lee will be able to work it out!

Cheers

Geoff

15. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi Geoff
    Glad to see we can at least contact old friends !
    Hope you are OK and not playing with BBQs at this time of the year.
    Regards to John and other antipodean members, plus of course all the others and the two
    love-birds
    :grouphug:

Cheers
    Keith.
    ps. I won't give up trying as long as Lee is hoping to fix it.

16. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Good on ya Keith keep the info on the Brit army comming, esecially the older assets.

17. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi Cobber,
    Nice to hear from you, tried loading a pic yesterday.
    Will try again.

Cheers
    Keith

It seems to have loaded, really pre WWII hope you don't mind.
    If this is because of Lee's adjusting, thanks Lee

Attached Files:

18. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Yup that one worked Keith. What weapons are these?
    I'd love to own such a relic however with our draconian gun and knife laws I would probably end up being arrested. although their are avenues open to collectors they still make it very, very hard for those with a genuine interest in these and other collectable guns and knives to own them.

The actions of a very few allowed the PC thugs to make it all but impossible for the rest of us

19. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi Cobber,

The three I posted are as follows.
    The top one is a percussion fowling gun with damascus barrels made by Holmes of Liverpool with some silver decoration.
    The next one down is a Brown Bess Cavalry Musket attributed to the 2nd Welsh Horse by the Curator at the Tower of London, because of the omission of a saddle ring, stock maker being W.JONES.
    The small cannon is a George III Captains Sample, so called because when the cannon maker outfitted a ship it was customary to give the captain of the ship a model of the cannon that had been fitted. This again was verified by the curator of the Tower Public Armoury, who was at the time Howard Blackmore, without doubt the foremost antique firearms expert.
    I made a carriage to show off this item, but an artillery carriage and not a ships type, I thought it looked better.
    When I find a picture of the model carriage I'll post it.
    Hope that answers your question, by the way, we to have have the same type of laws governing the possesion and use of fireams.

Cheers
    Keith

20. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi Cobber,
    As promised pictures of cannon.
    Have some better shots somewhere but not to hand.
    Cheers
    Keith

Attached Files: