The loss of HMAS Armidale and what should have been the RAN's first VC

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Antipodean Andy, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

2. spidge

spidge Active Member

If a VC was ever warranted, this is it.

Bravery under enemy fire, Laying down your life for others, most definitely in a war zone??????????????

We know it was deserved and in the end, that is all that matters.

Maybe someone thought that a rating should not be the first recipient?

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Such a shame - and yet, the decisions on how VCs are awarded are full of inconsistencies.

4. Antipodean Andy

I wonder if anyone has written a book on servicemen/women who "should" have won a VC? There'd be a lot of conjecture for sure!

5. spidge

spidge Active Member

I am sure that there has been quite alot written and discussed. Many GM's have been awarded as one of the criteria for the VC was not met.

Declared War Zone etc.

6. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

7. spidge

spidge Active Member

8. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Yes, and he occassionally contributes on rafcommands and TOCH.

That price is taking the pee - I can find copies from £10 on bookfinder.com But then again, Andy found a copy of a book by Terence o'Brien for $9000+ (I can't find the listing on Amazon now). Normally, the book is available for 0.2% of that price

9. Antipodean Andy

Dammit, now Geoff's doing it!

One for the list but not through Amazon!

Link no worky now, must have been a typo?

10. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Or someone was daft enough to buy it :>

11. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

12. Antipodean Andy

Different and quite haunting. The way they've been painted indicates, to me, the confusion, harrassment, desperation of the crew.

13. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

HMAS Armidale - December 1 1942

Australian minesweeper (corvette) one of fifty-six such vessels in the Royal Australian Navy during World War II was commissioned on June 11, 1942, and engaged in the re-supply and evacuation of troops and civilians from Betuno Bay in Timor prior to the Japanese takeover. The Armidale, part of the 24th Minesweeping Flotilla at Darwin, was sunk by a force of nine Japanese torpedo carrying bombers and four fighters 191 kilometres south-southeast of Dili in Portuguese Timor at 3.15 pm. She sank in less than five minutes. Casualties on board were 100 men lost out of a complement of 149. (Two officers and 38 ratings plus 58 Dutch soldiers and civilians) Some survivors endured eight days at sea before being rescued. Twenty-nine survivors managed to cling to a makeshift raft and drifted away from the sinking vessel but they were never seen again.

This was the highest loss of life on any Australian corvette during the entire war.