The Outcome of Filming at Perth's Air Musuem

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by fixel101, Jan 12, 2009.

1. fixel101

fixel101 Guest

Folks: A few years back, maybe December of '04 or '05, I visited the air museum in Perth, Western Australia. While there, a group was filming the Lanc, Digger, focusing at the tail end. In the turret was a fellow who was in military garb and following the instructions of the director, turning his turret, elevating his guns, etc. I was intrigued to say the least and took a bunch of digital photos. During my promenade, the crew would yell out quiet, action, leading me to tiptoe quietly among the exhibits. Great fun.

Does anyone know where, if anywhere, this film would have appeared - a movie, documentary, television? I have watched YouTube's Bomber Command material (posted by auldm, including the segments beginning with Main Force Take Off, etc.), but couldn't determine if the footage appears in any of the posted, contemporary video material.

I am curious. Cheers, and thanks in advance.

Fix

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Not something I've heard of, Fix, but I was out of touch with the Bull Creek museum for a few years until late 2006. You'll be pleased to know they have a Catalina there now.

To my knowledge the engines on the Lanc are just short of being capable of running but don't quote me on that. How was the film crew delivering power to the turret, if at all?

3. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

"You'll be pleased to know they have a Catalina there now."

Here's the Catalina............

View attachment 2608

Cheers

Owen

4. Antipodean Andy

Onya, Owen. This was the Cat that was shipped from the US as deck cargo on a USN LSD, IIRC. She was destined for a memorial at Pelican Point/Matilda Bay/Crawley where the USN, QANTAS and RAAF Cats used to operate from (within spitting distance of Perth's CBD). This was the starting (or end if you look at it that way) point for QANTAS' "double sunrise" flights to Ceylon.

5. fixel101

fixel101 Guest

Andy: The rear of the aircraft was a mass of cables and lighting equipment, with many technicians. I'll be darned if I know how they powered up the turret, but it was moving. I'll try to find the photos and see what I can make out. Any possibility that with a disengagement of gears/hydraulics, one could just spin it, manually?

Thanks, Fix

6. Antipodean Andy

Can't see why not. They can be hand-cranked too.

7. Why don't you e-mail the museum and see if they know anything about the project. I'm sure there had to be a lot of red tape satisfied for the production company to both have access to the aircraft and animate the rear turret.

8. fixel101

fixel101 Guest

Yes, took that course a few years back. Response from the webmaster at that time was 'are you sure you got the right museum, or something comparable?!' Thought I'd take a stab with the enthusiasts this go around.

9. Antipodean Andy

Hmm, not many other places in Australia to see a Lanc other than Canberra!

10. fixel101

fixel101 Guest

AA: E-mailed the museum a week back via their 'contact us' tab. No response this go-around, yet. FYI.

F