The Windward Islands in the RAF

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Duncan Richardson, Jan 21, 2009.

1. The smaller islands also played their part in the war and the Cenotaph in Kingstown, St Vincent pays tribute to the fallen. Fondly known as "The Iron Man" I will check tomorrow for any RAF Casualties.

The former Prime Minister of St Vincent Robert Milton Cato served in the RAF. In what capacity I do not know.

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Found this reference, DR. Ashamed to say I've never heard of him.

Cato, Robert Milton biography - S9.com

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

4. Jerome

Jerome Member

I have only located 2 references to St Vincent so far. A FS R T Abbott, reported as Missing 20 Jan 1944. Mother & 2 sisters lived in Trinidad and Flt Lt John L H Richards, Pilot, the Trinidad Guardian newspaper states "of Trinidad & St Vincent"

5. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Sorry not Air Force !! but thought you might be interested !

Captain Hugh Mulzac

The first African American merchant marine naval officer to command an integrated crew during wartime
    When the United States entered the Second World War in December 1941, it faced a shortage of merchant mariners. Supplies were desperately needed overseas. The massive sealift would require not only a huge fleet of cargo ships, but the seafarers to sail them. Thus the door opened a bit to African American mariners for a range of shipboard jobs. One of the most dramatic stories of the era involved shipmaster Hugh Mulzac.
    Born on St. Vincent Island, British West Indies, Hugh entered the Swansea Nautical College in South Wales to prepare for a seaman's career while in his twenties.

He became an American citizen in 1918, and continued his training at the Shipping Board in New York. He earned his captain's rating in the merchant marine in 1920, but racial prejudice denied him the right to command a ship. He sailed instead as a mate, working his way up through the ranks to chief cook.

Later he was offered the command of a ship with an all-black crew. He refused, declaring that "under no circumstances will I command a Jim Crow vessel."

Twenty-two years passed before Mulzac would again receive an offer to command a naval ship. During World War II, his demand for an integrated crew was finally met, and he was put in command of the S.S. Booker T. Washington.

With its crew of eighteen nationalities, the Booker T. Washington made twenty-two round-trip voyages in five years and carried 18,000 troops to Europe and the Pacific.

On the day his ship was launched, Mulzac recalled, "Everything I ever was, stood for, fought for, dreamed of, came into focus that day.

The concrete evidence of the achievement gives one's strivings legitimacy, proves that the ambitions were valid, the struggle worthwhile.

Being prevented for those twenty-four years from doing the work for which I was trained had robbed life of its most essential meaning. Now at last I could use my training and capabilities fully. It was like being born anew."

The Booker T. Washington was turned back over to the Maritime Commission in 1947. Despite his many years of service, Mulzac was never again given a similar assignment.

The Liberty ship BOOKER T. WASHINGTON was the first major U.S. oceangoing vessel to be named after an African American. (A later Liberty would bear the name FREDERICK DOUGLASS.)

The BOOKER T. WASHINGTON was built by the California Shipbuilding Corp. at Terminal Island, Los Angeles. Launched in 1942, the Liberty ship was christened by Black opera star Marian Anderson.

The 10,500-ton vessel made its first trans-Atlantic crossing in early 1943 from New York City to Great Britain, under the command of Captain Hugh Mulzac. He remained at the ship's helm for the next four years and 22 successful voyages. During this time, he expressed pride for his integrated crew, which represented 17 nationalities.

After World War II, the BOOKER T. WASHINGTON hauled coal for the Luckenbach Steamship Company, under the command of another Black shipmaster, Captain James H. Brown, Jr. In 1947, the vessel was laid-up in the defense reserve fleet, where it remained for the next 22 years.

The BOOKER T. WASHINGTON was scrapped in July 1969 in Portland, OR, but remains an interesting and significant footnote in the chronicle of African American seafaring.

SOURCE: African Americans - Captain Hugh Mulzac the first African American merchant marine naval officer to command an integrated crew during wartime.

6. St Vincent in the RAF

While checking on Abbot and Richards with a friend who could have been related, (maybe Richards) he told me of his uncle David Osment from St Vincent who was shot down early in the war over Germany and spent the long years as a POW. Thinks he was a pilot. David Osment died last year aged 90. As he never spoke about his war, no one has any details on his squadron, aircraft or the circumstances. I wonder if anyone on the forum could find anything?

7. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

David Ernest Thomas OSMENT (40742). Commissioned as PO 7th May 1938. Went on to serve in the RAF right through into the 1950s

19th May 1940
    Battle P5235 of 150 Squadron

Took off from Pouan. Crashed in the Battle Area.
    P/O D.E.T.Osment PoW Camps 9AH/L3, PoW No.506
    Sgt G.W.Clifford PoW Camps 8B/L6/357 PoW No.13058
    AC1 W.G.Slade PoW Camps 8B/L6/357. PoW No.13093 .

I will check in a couple of books for more details

8. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

From Valient Wings: Battle and Blenheim Squadrons over France 1940 by Franks

Attached Files:

9. Thank you for this information Kyt I will pass on to his nephew. Another man recorded in the history of West Indies in the RAF. Though he was not considered Black, West Indian none the less.