Tracks of the Dragon

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Cobber, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Tracks of the Dragon
    A history of Australian Locating Artillery.
    Keith R. Ayliffe. BEM
    John M. Posener.

I stumbled on to this book. I buy many books through a major mail order company, (much cheaper). I have read so many Official histories and many other history's of war fighting.
    After reading some Artillery history I never put much thought into Locating Battery's, untill this one jumped out of the page and for only Au$5. I have only just started this one and am still reading two other books, one a 1963 FACT-ion book about the Kokoda track,
    Another is a book on SASR operations from Borneo, Viet Nam and so on. With a constant flow of none OPSEC quotes and story's from SASR personnel. Most of these quoted men did multiple tours of Viet Nam some up to 4 tours. Many thank the Brit SAS for what some call a apprenticeship in SF jungle ops in Borneo/Brunei (early/mid sixties) which even though remembered as Good old days. It still prepared them for the much more intense patrolling and fighting in Viet Nam.

On Patrol with the SAS.
    Sleeping with your Ears open.

They did have to sleep with their ears open as they usually did not set up any kind of piquet at night, just hid and kind off slept. Amazing stuff
    The SASR did 6 month tours of Borneo etc, and the first SASR unit to Viet Nam did a 9 month tour however after that, they all did 12 month tours even though the HQ' and so on knew that
    6 months was the optimal time of tours, most especially in the Viet Namese jungle.
    Luckily they had Papua New Guinea to train up in, with many if not all squadrons spending some weeks/months training with the PNG Regt as a enemy before deploying to the
    Viet Namese war zone