Transport of Aust aircrew to Canada for training

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by paul.hickey, Nov 24, 2009.

1. paul.hickey

paul.hickey New Member

Flying Officer, Leo McCartin, RAAF

1. embarked Melbourne 6.3.43, disembarked Canada 22.3.43 - we think he was on the New (Nieuw?) Holland

2. embarked Halifax 25.8.43, disembarked UK (Brighton ?) 1.9.43

Can anyone tell me where we might find details of these voyages - ship's name, route, passenger lists, etc?

2. Dave Barlow

Dave Barlow Member

Hi Paul - there was a previous thread called "RAAF shipping details" where a similar question was asked. It is for movements after the one you are asking about, but most of the advice will hold: including the title of a book covering troopship movements from Australia.

cheers

Dave

PS - I assume you are asking about PATRICK LEO MCCARTIN 419238 of 75 (NZ) SQUADRON (UK) KIA 20NOV1944 (nice photo on his file). He is listed as dying in a flying battle but I can't find what aircraft type he was in or any other details. Can you please share what you have. (from the date and unit I guess he was in a Lancaster flying out of RAF Mepal)

3. CXX

CXX New Member

F/O. P L. McCartin RAAF

20 November 1944

75 Squadron
    Lancaster III ND911 AA-V
    Op. Homberg

Took off 1247 hrs Mepal (No other details)

20 November 1944 Homberg raid

183 Lancasters of No 3 Group made a G-H attack on the oil plant at Homberg but the weather was stormy and many aircraft were not able to maintain formation with the G-H aircraft on the bombing run. The bombing, through cloud, was believed to have been scattered. 5 Lancasters lost.

Regards
    Peter

4. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Here's the previous McCartin thread:

http://ww2chat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4104&highlight=mccartin

That's a pretty fast crossing of the Atlantic, Paul. I wonder if he was on the Queen Mary or other converted liner?

Would have thought they'd disembark at Liverpool or somewhere like that as opposed to Brighton.

It wasn't Queen Elizabeth according to:
    http://www.shaw.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-090330-073.pdf

She departed the US on August 20 so that gives an idea how fast the crossings were. I'm assuming they mean RMS Queen Elizabeth as opposed to the battleship which, being an old girl, I doubt could have made the trip so quickly. Confirmed by this:

Queen Mary is a possibility:
    http://www.queenmary.com/index.php?page=1943

Churchill had arrived at Halifax on the QM earlier in the month. Bit of a stretch without anything firmer but seems most likely. She may have sailed onwards to another UK port from Gourock ... or disembarked everyone the next day ... or arrived August 31 and was still unloading on Sept 1.

The fast HX (Halifax) convoys took too long. For example, HX254 left New York on August 27 and arrived Sept 12.

Apologies for all the links and obscure referencing. I am no convoy expert so have few resources to hand. I do like anything nautical though.

5. Kitty

Kitty New Member

another way of checking shipping movements is to get access to the Admiralty's daily records, which listed where every Admiralty ship and therefore convoys were at the end of each day. However it is a difficult amount of logs to wade through at Kew records. It isn't helped by the fact that from March/April 1940 the Admiralty decreed that the monthly logs of all shops smaller than a battleship were to be destroyed through lack of storage space. I am unsure of what happened to the logs of merchant and transport vessels, but i suspect something similar happened. The links the others have given you are a great place to start chasing leads, other than that the only other place i think you may find some help is Red Duster, the site of the Merchant Navy veterans.

6. Antipodean Andy

So, searching the Admiralty might end in pulling your hair out?

I checked convoyweb and Queen Mary is supported again:
    http://www.convoyweb.org.uk/at/index.html?at.php?convoy=61!~atmain

The search I did was for Halifax departures on +/- a couple of days. QM was the only one that came up. Gourock (from my previous post) is on the Clyde so that fits as well.

7. Antipodean Andy

With reference to the Nieuw Holland, again according to convoyweb, she was in Algiers on March 4, 1943:
    http://www.convoyweb.org.uk/kmf/index.html?kmf.php?convoy=10A!~kmfmain

I haven't been able to match anything to a Melbourne departure yet but will also try west coast Canada arrivals.

8. paul.hickey

paul.hickey New Member

Thanks for your assistance with this enquiry.

My wife and I spoke very recently to Leo's sister - now 92 but travelling really well - and she was adamant that the ship that Leo left Melbourne on was the "New Holland" because she went down to see him off . But the records for the Nieuw Holland obviously show otherwise - so the Aust to Canada trip is a bit of a mystery.

I assume that the ships would have gone to Vancouver and the men then transferred by train to the SFTS - in Leo McCartin's case it was to Souris for a couple of weeks and then to Claresholm.

For the Halifax to UK leg the Queen Mary looks like the right fit.

Cheers

Paul

9. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Is convoy web getting updated?

Is it possible the lady in question saw the Nieu Holland in harbour at the same time as she went to wave her brother goodbye and got the ship names mixed up?

10. Antipodean Andy

Sorry, Paul, convoyweb says nothing in or out of Vancouver for five days either side of March 22.

11. Antipodean Andy

Paul, do you know for sure they disembarked in Canada? Might they have got off at, say, San Francisco and then trained it to the relevant base in Canada? Pretty common thing to do for aircrew travelling from Australia and NZ.

The Nieuw Amsterdam (!) arrived in San Fran on March 22, 1943! She left Melbourne on ... March 6 ... and went via Wellington (arr March 9 and leaving the next day). So, Leo's sister simply got a bit of the name wrong, I'd say.

12. paul.hickey

paul.hickey New Member

Hmmm - convoyweb - ....still learning.

It shows that the " Nieuw Amsterdam" not the "Nieuw Holland" left Melbourne 6 March 43 to Wellington departing 10 March. Arrived San Francisco 22 March 43.

"The Australians usually disembarked in California. If they were lucky, they would get to spend a few hours or a day in San Francisco before hopping on a train for the 30-hour trip to Alberta. In its entirety, the journey from Australia to Alberta took several weeks." - from "Wings Over Alberta" at

www.abheritage.ca/flyboys/homefront/raaf.htm

Mant thanks once again for all your assistance with this

Cheers

Paul