Trawlers Lost During WW2

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by spidge, Jan 9, 2008.

1. spidge

spidge Active Member

[FONT=Times,Times New Roman]Another great resource on shipping lost in ww2
    [/FONT]
    http://www.royal-naval-reserve.co.uk/lost.htm
    [FONT=Times,Times New Roman]TRAWLERS LOST
    DURING WWII
    [/FONT]
    The Royal Naval Patrol Service (RNPS), developed from the pre-war Royal Naval Reserve Trawler Section, manned at its World War 2 peak, 1637 craft of various kinds including converted trawlers, corvettes, fuel carriers, motor launches and naval seaplane tenders. Of this total, from September 1939 through to May 1945, approximately 260 trawlers were lost in action, from the northern seas off Norway to the eastern seaboard of North America, the Far East, Africa and the Mediterranean. This material loss however pales into insignificance when compared to the 15,000 or so, RNPS personnel who were killed during WWII and the 2385 RNPS seaman who "have no known grave but the sea".
    Included on the following pages are details of those Admiralty trawlers lost during World War 2.
    Trawlers Lost - World War 2

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

What a website! There goes my lunch break!

3. sniper

sniper Active Member

Totally agree with you Andy, a very good website which means i won't be getting to bed until the very early hours of tomorrow. Nice one Spidge.

Sniper :peep:

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I watched a programme last night uncovering wrecks in the Thames River (the article below summarises the programme's findings). The subject matter was very interesting but the presentation and the presenters were terrible!

Pictured: Divers discover amazingly preserved shipwreck of HMS London on bottom of Thames | Mail Online

and

Old Father Thames gives up his secrets - Times Online

6. Brian S

Brian S Guest

Trawlers

Here's something I copied quite a few years ago (getting old)

TRAWLERS SUNK WHILE ON LOAN TO U.S.A.

St.Cathan 565 Tons - Sunk in Collision off S.Carolina 11/4/42
    Senateur Duhamel 913 Tons - Sunk in Collision off Wilmington 6/5/42
    Bedfordshire 913 Tons - Sunk by U Boat off Cape Lookout 11/5/42
    Kingston Ceylonite 940 Tons - Sunk by mine off Chesapeake 15/6/42
    Pentland Firth 900 Tons - Sunk in Collision off New York. 19/9/42