Trench Foot

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Franek, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Franek

Franek New Member

In the winter of 1944. The American was not prepared for the harsh winter in Germany. We were still wearing our GI issued high top leather shoes. No body expected to see how harsh the winters were. As far back as I can remember, there was always snow on the ground. Feet got wet and froze.. Gangrene set in and a lot of feet had to be amputated. We were issued more socks with instructions to keep our feet dry. The problem still continued and there were a lot of casualities sent to the rear.

Finally we were issued new boots encased in rubber up to our ankles.. That did the trick.. No more trench foot.

Although I never witnessed it.. There were reports of men shooting themselves in the foot to avoid combat. I repeat I never witnessed it but the rumor was rampart:mad:

2. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Trench foot has been the bane of soldiers lives for a few hundred years !

Trench foot was one of the most widespread and debilitating that affected men from both sides of the lines - it is linked with WW1 hence the name "Trench foot".

trench foot, 1914-18, ww1

3. Franek

Franek New Member

Trench foot was one of the most widespread and debilitating that affected men from both sides of the lines - it is linked with WW1 hence the name "Trench foot".QUOTE!

Thanks Annie. I never put that together. But it makes a lot of sense.. I understand that that problem also existed in the Falklands.

4. penance

penance New Member

Franek, indeed the problem was still prevelant in the Falklands.
    It was due to the problems there that the Brit Army changed from the DMS boots (like the Brit ww2 Ammo boot but with rubber sole) to the higher legged assault type boots.