Tuvalu (Ellice Islands) ww2

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by spidge, Oct 4, 2009.

1. spidge

spidge Active Member

Tuvalu or The Ellice Islands was part of the Gilbert & Ellice Islands which was a British protectorate.

Tuvalu and World War 2

The Gilbert Islands are 1300kms north and were controlled by the Japanese. The main island of the Gilberts is Tarawa - The main town BETIO), the first blooding of the United States Marines when they commenced their Island hopping campaign to Japan.

The Americans took over Tuvalu and built an Airstrip on the most arable part of the Island of Funafuti atoll.

The pictures on the attached link show the hotel where I used to stay - I have been there a few times. You go in by air Monday and come out Thursday from Fiji. I used to travel there from Kiribati (Tarawa) however that route no longer exists as the Airstrip will not accept the Air Nauru 737-400 aircraft.

A short note:

The name Tuvalu means eight islands standing together - (The number in the group is nine however only eight are inhabited). They were given their Independence by Britain in 1977 (The Gilberts 1978) and the new government changed their flag with no Union Jack. The Tuvaluans were not happy and eventually it was returned to the flag they have today.

See link: TUVALU

These people have always lived on tuna from the seas which was plentiful. The link below shows a huge marlin caught in 1984.

Photos of Huge Pacific Blue Marlin (some of the largest ever caught) - page 1 of 3

Needless to say I loved my time working in the Pacific.