U534

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Kyt, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Approval for U-boat to resurface
    Plans for a former tourist attraction to be handed a permanent home on the banks of the Mersey have been given the go-ahead.

Wirral council has approved Merseytravel's proposal to house a German World War II U-boat at the Woodside Ferry Terminal.

The submarine was formerly an attraction at the Historic Warships Museum at Seacombe docks.

Plans include the provision of a visitor exhibition centre at the site.

The submarine was sunk during the war when, on her way to Norway, she was attacked by an RAF Liberator aircraft in 1945.

Forty-nine of the 52 crew members survived, including five who escaped via a torpedo hatch as the submarine lay on the sea bed.

'Good news'

The boat will be cut into three sections to be transported and viewed.

At Woodside huge glass panels installed over the end of each section will allow visitors to see inside the submarine from specially-built viewing platforms.

Neil Scales, chief executive of Merseytravel, said: "It's very good news, not only does it give a home to the U-boat but it also compliments our work along the river with other attractions like Spaceport.

"We'll do a good job with this."

The exhibition in the visitors centre will display some of the four-and-a-half tons of memorabilia that was found on U534.

This includes an Enigma cipher machine, ammunition, uniforms, tools, charts and maps.

Work is expected to cost about £2.5m and will start next month and is to due to finish next year.http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/7055951.stm

2. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Ooooooooooooooooooh! I like the sound of this! Duxford has an X Craft which they sliced in half just in front of the engine and pulled apart with these glass panels so you can see in. i really want to see it done with a big sub!
    Good to see someone saving it. Now for all the other ships

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

4. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

Why do they have to cut her into sections?

HMS Alliance at Gosport and HMS Ocelot at Chatham are intact and the public are allowed to go through them; just a question of stepping over some hatch thresholds. The other submarine I've been inside is a Soviet Foxtrot which was briefly at Woolwich and now languishes in the Medway. These are slightly larger than a Type IX U-boat but not all that much so.

This seems more like the Council being terrified of being sued if anyone slips while swinging through hatchways or negotiating ladders.

5. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

I agree AR. While it's great she's being saved, I don't agree with cutting her into three for viewing. How do you understand the clausterphobic nature of a sub unless you go inside it?

6. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I get the feeling that anything that the council asks for will be done. Want fluffy pink fur around the conning tower? Sure, no problems. Anything as long as the boat finds a home.

7. Antipodean Andy

True. At least she'll be educational.

8. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

9. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

BBC NEWS | England | Merseyside | Engineers breaking-up WWII U-boat

10. spidge

spidge Active Member

Has anyone been to see this display?

11. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

12. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Interesting letter - I wonder how many other veterans feel the same way about similar restoration projects?

Why We Shouldnt Glorify These Uboats (from Wirral Globe)

13. spidge

spidge Active Member

I can feel for people who see the carnage being glorified. The portrayal of the U-Boat activity has to be handled carefully however it is a big part of the eventual defeat of Germany.

14. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

15. Antipodean Andy

I was still a bit miffed about it being cut up given it has survived effectively in original condition for so long but because it is so original, it would have required a lot of work to get it accessible. Obviously, that would have removed the originality so cutting her up isn't such a bad idea.

16. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

U-boat that wouldn't surrender rises in Poulton - Blackpool Today

(click on the above link for a short video)