Unsung Heroes

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Franek, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Franek

Franek New Member

As I advance into my very senior years, i recall memories of my time spent in WW2. I still seek answers as to whether justice was served.

I recall that back in 1946, A year after the WW2 ended, I laid in a bed at the Armies McGuire General hospital in Richmond Virginia right after another of many operations for my war wounds. Two Officers came to my bed and presented me a Bronze Star Medal. They said a few kind words, shook my hand and left.
    Other GI's along with a couple of Army nurses came over and asked me what it was all about? I was as bewildered as they were. I read an attached memo stating that it was for Meritorious action against the enemy on a date in late December 1944. ( Battle of the Bulge).

I recalled that date as being at the Northern Shoulder at the Elsenborne Ridge, Belgium. Being one of many walking wounded. I was ordered back to the front lines with many other walking wounded. Every available man was ordered back on line.I was ordered to man a position on high ground along with troops that I did not know. An enemy attack was imminent. On my right there were two Polish Soldiers from the British army manning a machine gun. To my left there were other GI's like myself separated from their units.

The Germans attacked twice being beaten back both times. They never returned.
    For this I was awarded the Bronze star.. I often wondered if the others who did that same as I did received one?
    Surely the Polish Machine gunners scored more kills than I did. Was there an injustice committed here?

Strange things happen during wars.

2. spidge

spidge Active Member

You got yours Franek so it must have been deserved.

3. Heidi

Heidi New Member

I may be young but i would like to say my peice on this.
    I don't think you should feel any guilt cause some soldiers did not recieve one,there is millions of soldiers during ww2 and some soldiers stood out more than others.
    Well deserve with you're medal and take pride.