USA 79th Infantry: Fighting around St. Lo?

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by JLPicard, May 27, 2014.

1. JLPicard

JLPicard New Member

My father landed at Normandy on the 14th of June in the 4th wave I think. His outfit was tasked with taking Cherbourg, then records show they moved along the Western coast of the Carentan peninsula towards Le Haye du Puits. He was with the 79th Infantry, 314th Battalion, F Company as a machine gunner.

Dad was captured during the Battle of the Bulge and spent the remaining several months in Stalag VIIA near Moosburg, Germany. He was interviewed for a book by Tom Bird titled American POWs of World War II: Forgotten Men Tell Their Stories published in 1992. My father was one of those interviewed for this book. In his narration prior to speaking about his capture, he speaks about the fighting and being "completely sounded by Germans" and being trapped and mentions the 82nd airborne being called in to rescue them and that all this was at St. Lo.

Was my father confused? In all my research, I never find that the 314th was involved in the fighting around St. Lo, nor the involvement with the 82nd. Once the 82nd dropped in at the onset of Overlord, didn't they remain in theatre?

2. Alexander

Alexander Member