V1 transport draws attention

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Antipodean Andy, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

HeraldNet: World War II German rocket draws gawkers on I-5

EVERETT -- It's not every day that a V-1 rocket from Nazi Germany rolls down I-5 through Everett on a flatbed truck.

It happened on Wednesday, as the World War II relic owned by Microsoft billionaire Paul Allen was moved from a museum at the Arlington Airport to a new home at Paine Field.

The disarmed V-1 was the first of 15 items in Allen's Flying Heritage Collection to be moved from Arlington, where the museum been housed for more than three years, to a 51,000-square-foot former repair hangar at Paine Field...

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Anorak time - the V1 was a flying/guided bomb, not a rocket.

3. Antipodean Andy

Gee, and I was worried about doing it in the other news items. You're as bad as me, mate!

4. BC1

BC1 New Member

BUT -is it a German V-1 Flying Bomb, or one of the US-produced "Loon" Flying Bombs? :noidea::noidea::noidea:

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

6. BC1

BC1 New Member

Fair enough. We had a few (V-1s, not beers!) in Suffolk and a couple of narrow squeaks here in LT from those air-launched from He 111s towards London over the N Sea winter 1944-45.
    We found the tail-end of a jet-pipe from one in a village pond back in 1978.

BC

7. Antipodean Andy

Amazing stuff, BC1. What happened to the piece of jet pipe?

8. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

9. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Guest

Okay, that's another amazing air museum that I need to visit sooner or later.