Veterans' Commemorative Medals

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Kyt, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Hoipefully we can compile a list of commemorative medals and badges given to veterans, whether campaign or service.

The National Service Medal
    - those who performed National Service, between January 1939 and December 1960, or their next of kin.

[​IMG]

Active Service Medal - a commemorative medal for Veterans of the British & Commonwealth Forces who participated in World War II, Korea, Malaya, Suez, etc up to the present day.

[​IMG]

Allied Ex-Prisoner Of War Medal

[​IMG]

Arctic Campaign Medal - veterans of the Arctic Campaign 1939 to 1945 or their next of kin

[​IMG]

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Bomber Command Medal

[​IMG]

Dunkirk Medal

[​IMG]

Normandy Campaign Medal

[​IMG]

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Women's Land Army Badge

[​IMG]

4. Hugh

Hugh New Member

Merchant Navy commemorative medal

[​IMG]

5. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

I apologise if this is a really crass question but when you see service people with ribbons sewn on their left chests does it mean that they have been awarded one or more medals?

6. Hugh

Hugh New Member

Nana,
    Each of the ribbons represents a medal as per the pic below of my father's medals.

[​IMG]

Regards

7. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Nane, as Hugh has shown, it indicates medals awarded. They run in order of precedance, and some will have little emblems on them. The most common of these would be an Oak Leaf indicating that the individual was Mentioned in Despatches, and/or a Rosette on a particular medal ribbon which indicates that they received another of those medals (and on the medal itself it is shown as a Bar or Clasp).

8. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Thanks Hugh and Kyt.

My Dad would not claim his medals so does that mean that he would not have had the ribbons either?

9. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

No, I'm afraid not Nana. But ribbons are usually only worn on uniforms, whereas medals can be worn on either uniform or civvies.