Victory Parade June 8th. 1946.

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Keith, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi Heidi,
    I promised you some time ago to post pictures of the Victory Parade in London June 6th 1946.
    At last, going through some pictures, I have found them.
    They were taken from a second story window in Radnor House, Regent Street, a stones throw from the Eros Statue in Piccaddilly Circus and the Rainbow Corner Club.
    They were taken with a Box Brownie Camera, and I was only 15, so please excuse quality.
    :photo:

Cheers
    Keith

Attached Files:

2. spidge

spidge Active Member

Good photos Keith!

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

It's interesting to see the Greek (? second pic) contingent.

This is the official programme of those who paraded

VE - Victory in Europe - Day, the Official Celebrations 8 June 1946
    VE-Day Celebrations, London

It's just a shame that the emerging politics of the forthcoming Cold War meant that the Poles didnot get an invite (except 303 Squadron which refused because the other services would not be represented)

And I've attached The Times reports - they make for interesting reading

Attached Files:

4. Heidi

Heidi New Member

Wow,GOB Smack here,real photograpghs and you have a bird eye view of the victory parade.
    I always wanted to know what it would be like back in those days,amazing pics.
    The queen picture,stand out the most,that must have been the queens grand mother when she was younger!
    Also,i notice an African units invovled in the parade,how nice.
    I heard about those brownies camera's,if i can recall rightly,the first ones were built in england 1912 for the average person,so normal persons can have pleasure aswell.

Thanks for sharing,much appricated.