W/C H.L. Fields, DSO*, DFC**

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Pathfinder, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Guest

Hey all,

Okay, I am now working on all the research for 685 Squadron's Officer Commanding, Wing Commander Harold "Harry" Lewis Fields, who flew in Bristol Blenheims, winning a DFC & Bar, then was seconded to fly in the Lysanders, dropping and picking up SOE agents throughout France. Would Harry have had a chance to receive a medal for doing his SOE flights?

~ James

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

James, it might be an idea to request this thread be moved to the Barracks or General area as the title gives the impression of a factual person. Just my impression anyway.

To answer your question, to me, it'd be more likely for Fields to earn a DFC and Bar flying Blenheims rather than the DSO. If anything, his secondment and commitment to Lizzies would be an example of distinguished service. The Bar to the DSO could come after a period of him leading 685 - the distinguised service applying to both his flying and administrative service. Again, just my thoughts.

3. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

Of course he could get medals for his service with the Special ops Squadrons. The citations might not appear in the London Gazete

4. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Guest

Yeah, I posted this thread in the General section Andy :)

5. Antipodean Andy

Weird, I'm sure I saw it The War in the Air.

6. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Guest

Morse, Kyt, Kitty or Spidge might have moved the thread, I'll have to ask.

Anyways, how would the DSO citation go for his SOE ops?

7. Antipodean Andy

No idea, haven't come across one of those. You might have to do some googling or check the London Gazette. At the very least, several examples of DSO citations will give you the wording/language to create you own.

8. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Guest

Thanks again mate :)

I'll PM you my results and you can critique them if you like.

9. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

I'm with Andy here.

The London Gazette is a good resource.

Cheers

Owen

10. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Guest

So, how would I search for medal citations on the LG? I haven't used it in a while.

11. Antipodean Andy

LG

Just follow your nose, mate. Do a search for someone you know has a DSO e.g. Hughie Idwal Edwards.

12. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Guest

Thanks for the link Andy :)

13. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

Mea Culpa!

14. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Pathfinder, just don't over egg the pudding. Too many decorations makes a character unbelievable. A DSO and DFC* is more likely for your time period.

You have to remember your time-period.

And look in the obituaries thread (in the News section) - I've often posted DSO and DFC citations. SOE/Special Ops pilots will not have citations in the LG, and most cases their unit won't be mentioned.

15. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

This is it, if they won a gong during their time in Special ops, they could wear the medal but the citation would be classed as Secret, as they do today.

As for over egging the pudding, a non flyer example would be Paddy Mayne who won a DSO and three bars, but he was in constant combat for most of the war, whereas a Flyer would have to do a at least one ground tour away from the fighting and the higher up the chain they get the less chance that they have to fly.

Today, a Station Commander is only allowed 40 hours flying time a month!

16. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Guest

Yeah, I understand Kyt.

DSO* and DFC* sounds more realistic don't you think?

So, if the medal citation was secret, I will just put "Secret" after the "Award of the Award of the Distinguished Service Order to.."

17. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Just noted the squadron. 685 Squadron existed as a real unit, so best not to useit. Use a number that got used. For example 633 Squadron was chosen for that reason.

Here are some that never became operational though they existed on paper:

505-509 Squadrons

and these never existed, even on paper:

522 Squadron
    523 Squadron

18. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Guest

Okay Kyt, I'll change it to No. 522 Squadron, 5 & 8 Groups, RAF.

And, I'm just curious to know what code letters weren't used during the war, especially "HD".