We never forget horrors of war

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by David Layne, Jan 12, 2009.

1. David Layne

David Layne Active Member

From

We never forget horrors of war - The Star

Date: 12 January 2009
    I READ with interest the letter from a 90-year-old veteran from WW2 (Jan 3) who said everything that has been in my mind and kept to myself since I came home.
    I am younger than he is, I am only 84 and was 20 when called up into the Army. Unlike him I went to Burma. I spent the first two years in the Burmese jungle and all over Malaya. I didn't see just one man killed, I saw 27 out of 32. Two of us five whowere left were wounded and I tended their wounds the best I could.

When the Japanese finally surrendered we didn't even get a rest. There was fighting in Java so we were sent there, some more injured. We were there nearly 12 months then, after three years, we were sent home.

I don't talk about these things, but I don't know anyone who forgets.

Mr A Taylor, Sheffield S6.

2. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

I really feel that if I can comment on the flatulent man I should be able to comment on this.

Lets just say that this man deserved his old age, and suffered so that the rest of us can be free; lets use that freedom constructively.

3. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Makes it even more remarkable that we get to read the likes of memoirs and interviews etc.