Whats Better Normandy or Bastogne?

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by 101st Airborne, Oct 5, 2013.

1. 101st Airborne

101st Airborne New Member

Hi There,

Next year I will be going on Holiday to 1 of these places but im not really sure where to go out of Normandy or Bastogne.

Im hoping to go on ethier 1 of there 70th Anniversaries.

can anyone help me choose what 1 to go to? as i having difficulties deciding....

Thanks

Ben

2. Watson

Watson Member

I would have to recommend Bastogne if your time is somewhat limited. The relevant sites are in a smaller area and thus can be visited in a shorter period of time. Whereas Normandy's are spread out over a larger area and so can take longer to locate and appreciate. Of the two, all things being equal, I would go back to Normandy first because there are so many more storylines to follow and sites to visit. Whichever you chose I hope that you enjoy your trip.

3. aghart

aghart Former Tank Commander Moderator

If you have never been to Europe before you may not fully understand that, compared to the US the continent is very small and you should be able to visit both without much bother. If you do have to choose one, then I would choose Normandy. D Day was simply so important that it must take the No 1 spot. Bastogne was, and always will be a testimony to the courage and determination of the 101st Airborne Division, but in the cold light of day, it was not a "game changing" battle. Normandy (and the part played by the 101st) was very much a game changer. Much like my old regiment, we celebrate every year the battle of Cambrai (1917) a very important battle for us, but not likely to be in most people's list of top 10 battles of WWI.