Why could the allies sustain heavy losses?

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by vashstampede, Aug 2, 2012.

1. vashstampede

vashstampede Active Member

During Battle of Britain, Luftwaffe outnumbered Royal Air Force at first, but due to varies reasons, they sustained heavier losses and they were unable to restore the losses fast enough to keep going.
    It was clear that RAF had the home advantage. When they bail out, they could be back in action within hours. While the Germans bailed out, they were either captured, or drown if they fell into the sea. Their bombers didn't have enough fighter protection due to their fighters could only stay for 10 minutes once arrived there before have to head back before run out of the fuel for returning trip.

The production of the planes were not a problem, it's the training of the pilots take much much longer time to complete.

So under the same situation, how were the allies be able to continuously bombing Germany while sustain very heavy losses? Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought when the allies were sending hundreds of bombings for each run, they were taking 10~20%+ casualty each time. These shot down pilots were obviously having no way to return to their airbase, they would definitely be captured by the Germans.

How were they able to keep bombing the Germans when the Germans had the home advantage?

I also looked up the ME-262 jet fighter. Most of them were destroyed on the ground, or as they take off or land, because it was said that allies had "regular patrol" over German airfields. How did they do that? It would take them a long trip to get there and how do they have enough fuel left in the fighter for "regular patrol" over airfields that supposedly swarmed with superior German jet fighters? ME-262 had a kill/death ratio of over 5 to 1 in the air... Couldn't Germans even secure their own jet airfields with their jet fighters?

2. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

One thing, and I'm sure there were a number of factors, is that by the time the Allies started bombing Germany in a big way they were still in the process of ramping up, especially the Americans, but by that time the Germans were already 'all-in' for the war in terms of the people they could recruit to join. Compare the combined populations of the major powers fighting the Germans, even just the USA, UK, and Russia, and there was obviously a much deeper pool of manpower than the Germans had even when you count in the larger of the nations who contributed large numbers of recruits to fight along side the Germans (Ukraine, Italy, France, Romania, etc). Also consider when you count the UK, it really included a lot of Commonwealth nations like Canada, Australia and New Zealand.