Willy Coppens WW1 Ace

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by liverpool annie, Mar 23, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Willy Coppens died on 21 December 1986 aged 94

.... but not a lot is known about his later life ... apart from him being a military attache and a parachute jumper .... though I did see he signed Charles Lindbergh's record ( scroll to the last item ! )

FAI News (Air Sports): World Records

We know a lot about him in WW1 but it would be interesting to find out about the rest of his life - does anybody know ?!

2. liverpool annie

Looks like he was in America in 1967 !! .... how lucky Bill Fenton was !! :clapping: I wonder if he ever wrote about the experience at all ?? ... I haven't been able to find anything though !!

First World War Ace Visits a Schoolboy

SIOUX CITY, Iowa — (AP) A Belgian fighter pilot of World War I fame, paid a visit to a teenage youth here as a result of correspondence between the two in connection with the youth's hobby of learning about early aircraft and their pilots.
    Baron Willy Coppens de Houthulst, now in his mid-70's, spent a week visiting 15-year-old Bill Felton III and his family. The high school sophomore had written to the ace in his effort to find out all he could about World War I planes. Baron Willy is known in aviation circles for his 37 "kills" of enemy planes.

The Bridgeport Post - Sunday, January 08, 1967

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

4. liverpool annie

Thanks K ! ... I've been looking on that site already .... but as always - I get sidetracked ..... :brick:

... I need to sit and focus !! :D

5. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

He was a rich Flemish aristocrat and I believe he spent WW2 in Switzerland. Perhaps we shouldn't read too much into that, but is possible that his life after WW1 achieved little of note, possibly with an ambivalent attitude to the issues of WW2.