Woolworths ....

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by liverpool annie, Nov 30, 2008.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Woolworths has filed for bankruptcy ....... what a shame !!

They were the "sunshine" in our lives when we were growing up !! :cry_smile: and played a big part in many communities .... all the growing up we did in there ....

I was interested to see this ... can't buy a car for that price these days !!

A subscription arrangement was suggested where people gave part of their weekly salary to a fund to buy a Spitfire for the RAF. Hearing of the proposals, the Directors of the Company offered to match colleagues pound for pound . If the stores managed to raise the money (which would be no small achievement without fund-raising from the customers) to buy a Spitfire, the Directors would buy one too.

The Woolworths Virtual Museum : Our two Spitfires play their part in World War II

2. liverpool annie

Check this out ... did you guys know about all these planes being donated ?? :clapping:

PRESENTATION SPITFIRES AND OTHER AIRCRAFT

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

It is a real shame that Woolies has gone bust, though I'm not surprised. When I was younger it was THE place to go shopping with ones pocket money. As I got older, it was brilliant to find anything I needed on a day to day basis - i goit all my kitchen stuff when I went to uni, I used to buy thread etc. I even browsed the tapes and records

But over the last few years it has shifted its emphesis away from what made it so handy. I have talked to friends, and we all find that they just seemed aimless now.

And this is a good article highlighting what I've just said:

BBC NEWS | Magazine | What is the point of Woolworths?

Thanks Annie. I have a copy of the book (which focuses on Spitfires, though the appendices does have some details of the other aircraft mentioned in the link). I hadn't picked up on the Woolworths' contributions but will look up the details of the aircraft later.

4. Kitty

Kitty New Member

A shame about Woolies, but in last 15 years its always been the last place you go to get anything. usually in desperation. Went in 6 months ago for thread and ins. No longer sell them.

Annie, go look up Wings For Victory Weeks, and Salute the Soldier and Salute the Sailor weeks. All aimed at raising money.

5. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Browsed the what? :becky:

Annie, some of the presentation Spits etc had the name of their donor towns etc painted on the side (in case you've seen something like that in pics). A book I've been after for years and will get around to eventually is The Darlington Spitfire by Peter Caygill - The wartime record of the RAF aircraft known as "The Darlington Spitfire"

Roger Darlington wrote Night Hawk about Karel Kuttelwascher which I will find for something affordable one of these days.

6. liverpool annie

You don't need the book now Andy ... it's all right here !! :clapping:

S/Ldr Karel M. "Kut" Kuttelwascher, DFC&Bar - Aircraft of World War II - Warbird Forums

7. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

LOL, thanks Annie.

I'll forget you said that! :becky:

I discovered Kuttelwascher when I built his Hurri as a 1/48 scale model in the early 90s. I asked for help through Flypast magazine, which I used to subscribe to, and was inundated with responses. One bloke was even kind enough to send me a three-view colour plate of the aircraft which I've got somewhere. Learnt a lot about him and even corresponded with Roger Darlington who was researching presentation Spits at the time, IIRC. RD is Kut's son-in-law.

8. 51highland

51highland Member

Won't be able to take troublesome kids in there and lose em anymore. I was always getting lost in there, between the big wooden counters. Memories. lol