An interesting airman - anyone have any reference?

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Antipodean Andy, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

I had another chat with John today. He arrived in Algiers and then waited for his Hurri to be assembled before ferrying it to Egypt. He was then attached to an artillery unit doing spotting work for them flying IIcs. During this time he downed a Ju88 returning home on one engine. He later met the pilot in the army mess - both were blond haired and blue eyed and the German commented that they could swap uniforms and no one would know (young lads on all sides). Re-equipped with IIds, he then flew tank-busting sorties before being shot down when attacking Tigers (he commented they were early ones - can't have been too many Tigers in North Africa?). As he was very low already and he'd lost half a wing, he just ploughed into the sand. An army vehicle recovery unit was nearby and an officer, John Foyle, (of the London Foyle bookshop family apparently) was first on the scene.

John was back flying shortly thereafter in a new Hurri armed with rockets instead of the two 40mm cannons of the previous aircraft. He did not fly this for long before going on rest to the Suez zone and a gunnery school. This is how far we've got.

Unfortunately, John's ex-wife of the '50s gave his medals and logbook (I just about cried!) away. Hope they turn up someday. However, I am getting some good references to check against dates etc. I could not get an army unit ID. John saw service at El Alamein, Tobruk etc.

Next meeting, we'll chat about his gunnery school days and then Wimpey tour where at least we have a squadron reference to follow as well which will help the lack of logbook.

I saw his reissued medals. No DFC, John commented he was a bit of a rebel, but all of the campaign medals and an American DFC for "rescuing an American bomber crew on the wings of my Lysander"...

Service number, as entered into my phone after I had packed up the recording gear: 1580302 but had initially said this: 1580312. That doesn't work either. I give up!

2. RAFLibs

RAFLibs Member

Bit late, but I've had a number of email conversations with John but not for a while.
    He was one of the few people that remembered my grandfather's crew (Johnny Marquette's crew). He's provided a number of photos over the time, I spent too long out of touch when I moved to New Zealand, I'm trying to get things back, I hope John is still around.
    Told me about how his marriage to an Italian blew up shortly after they arrived back in Aus and how she used him to get out. There were a lot of Aussies in 178.

3. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Thanks Gaz. I'm not surprised he remembered. He's got a phenomenal memory. I managed to record some of his poetry recitings (some self-written) during our chats. I last spoke to him in March of last year and need to get back in touch. I'll dig out some contact details for you.