Caribbean Aircrew

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Kyt, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Hi lilliput

I can understand the concerns with racial profiling, and the mis-use of it. But I still think that when we remember the veterans, people like to know things like the Commonwealth contribution. For educational purposes alone, telling people about the fact that black, brown etc peoples fought shoulder to shoulder is invaluable. Especially for people from those ethnic communities who may have experienced racism as it shows that there are times when colour didn't matter.

2. lilliput

lilliput Guest

Kyt, you're absolutely right of course. That's why we started the website in the first place. And to be absolutely in the clear about this, I have no urge to downplay the contribution of coloured men and women. I'm glad that you appreciate the possible mis-use of racial profiling, that was my point.

I also wanted to point out that different communities have different sensitivities, that should be considered.

I think it will be implicitly clear to our visitors that the greatest majority of Caribbean volunteers were coloured. Otherwise the photographs will illustrate that fact.

3. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member