Do you see anything unusual here?

Discussion in 'Barracks' started by David Layne, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Heidi

Heidi New Member

During ww2, I have seen photo's of Churchill flying aircrafts. Not as a millartry pilot,but it does proof that he flew aircrafts.
    I sure Churchill was not an airman during ww1,Churchill was in politics at the time of ww1so Churchill does not have his wings.
    I think, Adrian was right about Churchill had no idea that you had to earn those wings,but surly the PM should know this!

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Sometimes it is worth reading links that are provided so as not to go around in circles in a debate:

CHURCHILL - RAF rank and wings - RafCommands Forums
    (as posted in #14)

Some of his military medals (though I wonder about eligibility):

The Orders, Decorations and Medals of Sir Winston Churchill - The Churchill Centre

The Order of Precedence

And the attachment is from Winston Churchill By Michael Paterson

Attached Files:

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Just to confirm post #22

http://www.winstonchurchill.org/files/public/FinestHour128.pdf

5. Keith

Keith New Member

Churchillian Puzzle

Hi Kyt,
    We can always depend on you to clarify the situation.
    Your knowledge and if needed, your prodding and digging on the net is deeply appreciated by all.
    When I sat back and thought of my remark "Gigantic Fruit Salad, I acknowledged that if anyone deserved rewarding, not only by the people of the UK, but by all countries involved in the conflict against hitler's control, he did.
    This is patently obvious by your detailed description.
    :clap2:
    Cheers
    Keith
    ps. what was the "anything strange" mentioned in the post? everything we came up with was verified as true.

6. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Cheers Keith.

Interesting to see that some of the honorary awards were gazetted, like they would be for service personnel:

7. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

I think David was thinking about the "wings" .... but the only thing I can see is .... he was doing a Michael Jackson and only had one glove !!!!! :hi:

8. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

The aircraft in the attachment picture in Kyt's post #22 above is a Maurice Farman MF11"Shorthorn" , mounted on floats.

In the pdf link in #23, the aeroplane in the photo of Churchill with Clementine looks like a Bristol Boxkite. The nose visible in the photo captioned as being at the Central Flying School at Upavon, looks like that of the BE1 or the prototype BE2.