newbie, re Squadron leader John Watson

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by carolyn watson, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Okay, I found something but it relates to searching for a crash site by a 177 Sqn team led by P/O Don Anderson RAAF and including the Group Padre, S/L GN McCulloch. After a canoe trip proved unsuccessful, a 211 Sqn Harvard was borrowed, the crash pinpointed and then a second party led on foot to subsequently bury the two crew - F/O Emery and F/S James.

I'll have to check Cotton's Hurricanes over Burma as well as this is beginning to annoy me! LOL.

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

While searching through Bush Cotton's Hurricanes over Burma I came across this which, although not relevant to Dr Watson's work, might be of interest. It was during Cotton's time in Calcutta recovering from injuries suffered when shot down during the retreat from Burma. We're talking roughly mid-'42. Page 145:

Page 146:
    It would be interesting to know more about Russell's treatment. The use of the cigarette holder indicates possible knowledge of the latest burns treatments as later int he war packages containing, among other things, cigarette holders, were sent from East Grinstead to POW hospitals in Europe. By 1942, the RAF's treatment of burns would have been well in order so here's hoping Russell got the best of treatment.

Aha - ( P to S )
    AIRCREWS & LOSSES
    That's all a distraction though. Unfortunately, after scanning through this book as well, I can't find the parachuting MO reference. Sorry, Carolyn.