Prinz Eugen - what if?

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by NASAAN101, May 18, 2009.

1. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 New Member

Andy,
    Possible tipping the fight in favor of her bigger brother! but i dont know for how long!
    Nikki

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Tipping the fight in favour of her bigger brother which already had jammed steering and was down at the bows? No chance by that stage Nikki.

3. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 New Member

Andy,
    If she got there sooner, could she have helped her bigger brother, or was he sank anyway. So, what were her chance of just sitting on the out side of the battle area, til KGV, Norfolk and Rodney, left the area, could she have moved in to ruscue survivors or would Moari and Dorsetshire, just chase her off?
    Nikki

4. Antipodean Andy

To begin with, PE would have had to have been very lucky to find Bismarck again after they separated and she wouldn't have been much help if she did find her (since she knew her general track home). RN aircraft would have been up and about so if the surface ships didn't spot PE sitting just out of range, the aircraft might have.

5. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 New Member

Andy,
    what were her chances of moved in to ruscue survivors or would Moari and Dorsetshire, just chase her off?
    Nikki

6. Antipodean Andy

If she had survived, what's the chances of her hanging around with a far superior force within range?

7. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 New Member

Andy,
    If she sits in a ran Squill, shes safe for the moment, right? Then when KGV, Rondey and Norfolk, leave. Shase off Moari an Dorsetshire and get the survivors!
    Nikki

8. Antipodean Andy

HMS Maori was responsible for spotting Bismarck on radar so a rain squall wouldn't hide PE.

9. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 New Member

Andy,
    IF the five DDs spoted her, what would happen, could they keep her away from bismarck? or are the chased off by PE
    Nikki

10. Antipodean Andy

The destroyers would either be operating as a force in themselves or be part of a larger, much stronger force (I do not know the intricate details of the RN ships' disposition immediately after Bismarck's sinking). Nikki, what you have to realise is that if PE was with Bismarck at the time of her sinking, she would have been sunk as well. If she somehow escaped the attention, it would have been prudent to run (in which case she probably would have been hunted down) rather than hang around. If five destroyers were up against PE by themselves, it is very likely the flotilla would have attacked her in order to launch a spread of torpedoes. Five small, fast moving targets would have been a challenge to hit ... as would dodging a spread of 10-15 torpedoes ... and RN destroyer crews were the best.

If PE somehow got away, in reality, she suffered engine problems several days after the loss of Bismarck and had to return home. In other words, if she ran, and was hunted, that would have been the end of her. She wasn't called a lucky ship for no reason.

11. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 New Member

Andy,
    Here are the five Destroyers there four Tribal-class destroyers Cossack, Sikh, Maori and Zulu, along with the Polish Piorun. them five with Norfolk, suffolk and Dorsetshire? what happens are they able to keep PE back or will she be able to break-free?
    Nikki

12. Antipodean Andy

As I said above, Nikki, if PE had survived the initial battle in which Bismarck was sunk, her best option would have been to run. Of the ships you mention above, the 'Countys' are heavy cruisers - 8 inch cruisers. While each were roughly 10 years older than PE, they could have easily engaged PE while the destroyers ran in for a torpedo firing.

In every case, if PE had stayed with Bismarck, she would have been up against it during the main battle. If, somehow, she survived, all attention would have been turned on her ... by all RN ships. If, somehow, she evaded the battleships and hung around for some bizarre reasons, she would have been up against a far superior force in the form of cruisers and destroyers. If, somehow, only the destroyers were nearby, PE would have been dodging torpedoes left, right and centre. Of course, the commencement of any new engagement would have brought the nearby RN units back into play with signals from the attacking ships going out. Either way, a surviving and lingering (both near impossible scenarios) PE was stuffed ... and the Germans were smart enough to know when to cut their losses.

We can discuss all we want but the fact of the matter is it didn't happen so we can go round and round in circles all we like. It doesn't change what happened and adds little to discussions (like all 'what if' scenarios). Bismarck sank and PE, by continuing with her assigned and original task, lived to fight on. I have responded to you out of politeness and to help you get a feel for the forum but it's time to move on.

13. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 New Member

Alright Andy..
    I'll back off for a little bit.. but like i said i ddint mean to get anyone mad at me ok..
    Nikki

14. DFC

DFC New Member

They both should have stayed together ,and if not she would have had the speed on the 2 brit capital ships ,but where was she going to go ??? nice idea thou
    AJ