Which are you?

Discussion in 'Barracks' started by Kitty, Apr 11, 2009.

?

Which do you prefer at Easter?

1. Egg

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Bar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Both

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Meh!

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Golden Wattle

Golden Wattle New Member

Unfortunately getting on toward both.

Ha!

2. spidge

spidge Active Member

I was having a joke at your expense............

Gettysburg "Address"![​IMG]

3. Gage

Gage New Member

Oh so do I!
    Since I gave up smoking I just bang the weight on.

4. Heidi

Heidi New Member

Don't worry!Older is much better. Wish i was in you're age group. Sob!:cry: HA!

5. Gage

Gage New Member

That's just EVIL. :couch2:

6. Heidi

Heidi New Member

Cage, i really meant it. Being young in this century is not all crack up to be,older is much better, and i really do mean it. I did not say it to put two of you down at all.
    I am counting my days to my older daya and i can't wait. Sorry if i offended you.

7. Gage

Gage New Member

You didn't offend at all. I was joking. Why is it better to be older?

Take advantage of your younger years as I would gladly swop with you.

8. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Heidi enjoy being young lass, it'll soon be gone. do all the things you want to do and damn the rest.

As for me choklit in any form please, but if it happens to be a Green & Blacks Almond bar then I'm there.

9. Heidi

Heidi New Member

Howdy ladies.

Cause older is more- Mature,more skills,more life experiences,older mature men.
    When you're young,you don't have any of these.
    I will try and enjoy being youing but preferr to be older.

10. Gage

Gage New Member

You're soon be older as time flys.

11. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Sorry still laughing at Gage being called a Laydee ;) easy mistake with that avi.

Heidi just have fun now, forget growing up and enjoy what there is.

12. Colonel Klink

Colonel Klink New Member

You will miss being young once you get a job.:mosking::biggrin1:

13. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Speaks the voice of experience ;)

14. Heidi

Heidi New Member

AH! oh Gage a man,oh,that must be his mother in his avatar then!
    Sorry Gage :hail:.

Ok kitty,i'll try.

15. Heidi

Heidi New Member

Funne. Ok,i'll keep that in mind.

16. Gage

Gage New Member

Oh, I'll let you off, this once, Heidi :dwarf: :)

A brief bit of info on the brave young woman who is my avatar.

Andrée Borrel was born in November 1919 and grew up in a working-class neighbourhood on the outskirts of Paris. She left school at fourteen and worked at various sales jobs in Paris, spending her spare time in rugged activities like hiking, climbing, and bicycling. When war broke out she headed to the unoccupied zone in the south, where she worked as a Red Cross nurse and joined an underground escape line guiding British servicemen to safety. Betrayed by an informer, the line was shattered and Andrée made the journey over the Pyrénées via Spain to Portugal and eventually from Lisbon to London, where she was greeted with suspicion by De Gaulle's people because of her leftist background and her previous activities on behalf of the British. F Section had no such qualms, seeing in her a bona fide Frenchwoman who would be able to move around in France without arousing suspicion, and she was enthusiastically recruited for the first group of women agents trained by SOE in the spring of 1942.

Tough and self-reliant, judged "absolutely reliable", she became the first woman to be dropped by parachute into occupied France. It was the autumn of 1942 and her assignment was to serve as courier to the chief of the vast network in the Paris area known as Prosper. As Denise, she became more than a messenger, serving as an invaluable partner as she and Prosper travelled through the north organising circuits and training them in the use of the weapons and explosives they supplied them with for sabotage actions, in which Andrée often took an effective part. By the end of May 1943 she and Prosper and their radio operator were a close-knit threesome, with drop zones and stored arms on farms all over the Île de France and beyond.

Unfortunately, they proved too successful. The amount of activity over the skies of northern fields, the number of men and women involved, and the increasing inattention to the demands of security that accompanied the mistaken belief that an Allied invasion was imminent, together with the efficiency with which the Germans had tracked F Section activities with the help of informers and wireless detection techniques, doomed them. All three were arrested in the last week of June. Andrée was imprisoned in Fresnes, where she remained for almost a year before being removed to a civil prison in Germany, from which she was removed along with fellow F Section agents Vera Leigh and Diana Rowden and volunteer Sonia Olschanezky, who had worked for the head of a Jewish sub-section of Prosper, and transported to Struthof-Narzweiler concentration camp near Strasbourg. Following orders from Berlin, the officials there killed all four women by means of lethal injection and burned their bodies in the camp's crematorium.

Andrée was 24 years old. Today a simple plaque in the crematorium records their names.

17. John

John Active Member

Thank you for the story of a very brave young french lady. She gave her life for her country
    REST IN PEACE

18. Kitty

Kitty New Member

I've just eaten 3/4's of a Green & Blacks dark choklit egg. I feel sick.

19. Gage

Gage New Member

Serves you right!

Hmm, need chocolate now.

20. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Oh I am well aware of that, but it is a small price to pay.